In this worksheet, we will practice writing and interpreting symbols for cations and anions and calculating ion charges from proton and electron numbers.
Which of the following does not readily form ?
Aluminum is in Group 13 of the periodic table. What is the charge of an aluminum ion?
Magnesium is in Group 2 of the Periodic Table. What is the charge of a magnesium ion?
Chlorine is in Group 17 of the Periodic Table. What is the charge of a chloride ion?
is one of the common ions of iron. An atom of iron loses three electrons to form the other common ion of iron. What is the charge of this ion?
Which of the following is a polyatomic ion?
Atoms of beryllium commonly lose two electrons when they react. What is the charge of the beryllium ion?
Sulfur can react to form an anion called the sulfide anion. What is the charge of the sulfide anion?
A hydride ion loses two electrons to form . What is the charge of ?
Which of the following best describes an ion?
- AA positively charged nucleus with bound electrons, which is neutral overall
- BTwo or more chemical elements bonded together
- CAn atom which has lost or gained electrons, gaining a net positive or negative charge
- DTwo or more distinct substances mixed together but not chemically bonded
- EOne of over 100 unique units which can participate in a chemical reaction
An atom of oxygen gains two electrons to form an oxide ion. What is the charge of this oxide ion?
An atom of magnesium loses two electrons to form a magnesium ion. What is the charge of this magnesium ion?