In this worksheet, we will practice defining elements, atoms, and molecules and using these terms in the context of materials and physical processes.
What is the difference between a sulfur atom and a sulfur molecule?
- ASulfur atoms consist of multiple sulfur molecules bonded together.
- BSulfur atoms are reactive while sulfur molecules are not.
- CSulfur atoms can be divided into smaller units, while sulfur molecules cannot.
- DA sulfur molecule consists of multiple sulfur atoms bonded together.
Which of the following best describes a molecule?
- AAtoms of two or more elements bonded together
- BA mixture of different elements
- CA single atom of an element
- DAtoms chemically bonded together in a discrete unit
Which of the following best describes an element?
- AA pure substance
- BAny of the fragments that make up a molecule
- CA substance made from more than one type of atom
- DThe name shared by atoms containing the same number of protons
Which one of the following is true of an element?
- AYou can divide up an element into infinitely many pieces.
- BElements are made of at least two types of atom, bonded together.
- CElements in the Periodic Table are arranged in order of increasing mass.
- DAll the atoms of an element have the same number of protons in their nuclei.
- EAll elements are found in nature in their pure states.
Which of the following is not an element?
Which of the following is true for molecules?
- AMolecules have crystalline structures.
- BAll molecules are composed of more than one type of atom.
- CAll molecules are made of multiple atoms, all of the same type.
- DMolecules are distinct, covalently-bonded collections of atoms.
- EOnce you make a molecule out of atoms, you cannot get the constituent atoms back.
What is the symbol for an atom of the element chlorine?
What is the symbol for molecular oxygen?