Worksheet: Elements, Atoms, and Molecules
In this worksheet, we will practice defining elements, atoms, and molecules and using these terms in the context of materials and physical processes.
What is the difference between a sulfur atom and a sulfur molecule?
- ASulfur atoms can be divided into smaller units, while sulfur molecules cannot.
- BSulfur atoms consist of multiple sulfur molecules bonded together.
- CA sulfur molecule consists of multiple sulfur atoms bonded together.
- DSulfur atoms are reactive, while sulfur molecules are not.
Which of the following best describes a molecule?
- AA single atom of an element
- BA mixture of different elements
- CAtoms of two or more elements bonded together
- DAtoms chemically bonded together in a discrete unit
Which of the following best describes an element?
- AA substance made from more than one type of atom
- BA pure substance
- CAny of the fragments that make up a molecule
- DThe name shared by atoms containing the same number of protons
Which of the following is true of an element?
- AYou can divide up an element into infinitely many pieces.
- BElements are made of at least two types of atom, bonded together.
- CAll the atoms of an element have the same number of protons in their nuclei.
- DElements in the periodic table are arranged in order of increasing mass.
- EAll elements are found in nature in their pure states.
Which of the following is not an element?
Which of the following is true for molecules?
- AOnce you make a molecule out of atoms, you cannot get the constituent atoms back.
- BMolecules have crystalline structures.
- CMolecules are distinct, covalently bonded collections of atoms.
- DAll molecules are composed of more than one type of atom.
- EAll molecules are made of multiple atoms, all of the same type.
What is the symbol for an atom of the element chlorine?
Which of the following is not a molecule?
What state symbol is used to represent a gas in a chemical equation?
What state symbol is used to represent a solid in a chemical equation?
What is the total number of atoms in the following molecule?
Thionyl chloride is a gas with the chemical formula . Which diagram could represent pure ?
What state symbol is used to represent a liquid in a chemical equation?