Worksheet: Insulators, Conductors, and Semiconductors
In this worksheet, we will practice describing insulators, conductors, and semiconductors and relating their properties to their applications.
Fill in the blank: At low temperatures, semiconductors and insulators differ only in .
- Avalence band composition, with semiconductors and insulators having half-filled and fully filled HOMOs respectively
- Bband gap size, with insulator band gaps being greater in energy than those of semiconductors
- Celectron placement, with electrons occupying the conductance bands of semiconductors but not of insulators
- Dresistivity, with semiconductors being less conductive than insulators with increasing temperature
Which of the following statements about semiconductors is true?
- ASemiconductors have no energy gap between the valence and conductor bands.
- BSemiconductor conductivity increases with increasing temperature.
- CIntrinsic superconductors require a dopant to conduct electricity.
- DIntrinsic semiconductors are more efficient than extrinsic semiconductors.