In this worksheet, we will practice describing the properties of semiconductor materials and describing how diodes are constructed.
Which of the following correctly describes the process of doping?
- ADoping is the process of coating a pure semiconductor crystal in a metal alloy to act as a conducting layer.
- BDoping is the process of adding impurities to semiconductor crystals to increase their electrical conductivity.
- CDoping is the process of giving a semiconductor crystal a net electric charge.
- DDoping is the process of heating a semiconductor crystal to increase its electrical conductivity.
- EDoping is the process of coating a semiconductor crystal in an insulating material to prevent currents on the surface of the crystal.
Fill in the blanks: For a semiconductor such as silicon, as its temperature , its resistance .
- Aincreases, decreases
- Bincreases, stays the same
- Cdecreases, decreases
- Dincreases, increases
- Edecreases, stays the same
Which of the following statements correctly describes what a semiconductor is?
- AA semiconductor is a material that has zero electrical resistance at temperatures close to absolute zero.
- BA semiconductor is a material that, at normal temperatures, has an electrical conductivity that is greater than that of an insulator but less than that of a metal.
- CA semiconductor is any element from group 14 of the periodic table.
- DA semiconductor is a material with a very high electrical conductivity but a very low melting point.
- EA semiconductor is any alloy of two or more electrically conductive metals.