In this worksheet, we will practice assessing the advantages and limitations of mass spectrometry methods and their suitability for particular samples.
What are fast atom bombardment (FAB) and secondary ion mass spectrometry (SIMS) useful techniques for?
- AProtein sequencing
- BTrace metal analysis
- CHalide analysis
- DDepth profiling
Why is inductively coupled plasma (ICP) typically only used as an ionization method for elemental analysis?
- AIt requires the sample to be dissolved in a carrier gas prior to sample injection.
- BOnly low molecular weight molecules can be analyzed.
- CICP produces an unpredictable fragmentation pattern.
- DAll structural information is lost due to extremely high plasma temperatures.
What is the negative mode of chemical ionization best suited for analysis of?
Which MS ionization technique is most useful for component analysis of metal-containing compounds, leaving fragments intact?
- AMatrix assisted laser desorption ionization (MALDI)
- BInductively coupled plasma (ICP)
- CElectrospray ionization (ESI)
- DElectron impact (EI)
What are MALDI and ESI?
- ASeparation methods used prior to MS analysis
- BDetection methods used for spectral fingerprinting
- CMass analysis techniques requiring external calibration
- DIonization methods commonly used for biochemical analysis