Lesson Worksheet: The Human Genome Biology
In this worksheet, we will practice describing the components of the human genome and outlining why scientists want to study the human genome.
Which of the following best describes a gene?
- AAll of the DNA and RNA within an organism
- BThe combination of different alleles that make up an organism
- CA section of DNA or RNA that codes for a particular protein or molecule
- DA section of DNA or RNA that codes for a specific carbohydrate
- EThe physical appearance of an organism
A section of mRNA has the following codon sequence: .
Use the table provided to determine the correct sequence of amino acids this sequence of codons will be translated into, reading from the to direction.
- AMet, Val, His, Val
- BMet, His, Thr, Leu
- CMet, Val, His, Leu
- DGlu, Met, His, Thr
- EGlu, Val, His, Leu
What are the four nitrogenous bases of DNA?
- AA U G C
- BA T G D
- CA B G C
- DT G C E
- EA T G C
What was the main purpose of the Human Genome Project?
- ACreating a comprehensive genetic map of the human genome
- BAnalysing the evolution of traits and inherited disorders over time
- CIdentifying genetic diseases and understanding their mechanisms of action
- DAll of the answers are correct.
The genome is .
- Athe complete set of DNA and protein which make up the entire chromosomal structure of an individual
- Bthe complete set of DNA which makes up the entire genetic information of an individual
- Cthe complete set of DNA and RNA which make up the entire nucleic acid content of an individual
- Dthe complete set of protein which makes up the entire translated nucleic acid content of an individual
What was the purpose of the Human Genome Project?
- AIdentifying all proteins which are coded by genes in humans
- BIdentifying all genes and their sequence in humans
- CIdentifying the structure of all chromosomes in human cells
- DIdentifying all possible phenotypes of genes in humans