Lesson Worksheet: Movement in Plants Biology
In this worksheet, we will practice describing the tropisms that control movement in plants.
What is the response of plants to a touch stimulus known as?
Which of the following best explains how legumes, a type of plant, use movements to utilize light-dark cycles?
- ALegumes will move their leaves to close them at night and open them during the day.
- BLegumes will move their leaves to ensure that they always grow toward the sun.
- CLegumes will actively move their roots to find areas with more sunlight.
What is cytoplasmic streaming?
- AThe leaking of cytoplasm from damaged plant cells
- BThe communication between cells, using signaling molecules in the cytoplasm
- CThe transport of cytoplasmic substances between cells
- DThe movement of cytoplasm within a cell
If, when growing, the roots of a bean shoot touch an object (like an underground rock), signals are transmitted to encourage the root to grow away from that object. What tropism is being displayed here?
- APositive gravitropism
- BNegative thigmotropism/haptotropism
- CNegative hydrotropism
- DPositive chemotropism
- ENegative phototropism
Fill in the blank: Cytoplasmic streaming and thigmotropism are examples of .
- Aplant growth methods
- Bplant responses to touch
- Cplant responses to external stimuli
- Dplant movement
A tendril is a specialized part of a climbing plant (pictured). If one side of a growing tendril touches an object, signals are transmitted to encourage the tendril to grow around the object. What tropism is being displayed here?
- APositive thigmotropism/haptotropism
- BNegative gravitropism
- CPositive gravitropism
- DPositive hydrotropism
- ENegative thigmotropism/haptotropism
The pea plant has threadlike organs called tendrils. How do these tendrils demonstrate haptotropism?
- ATendrils will react to a light stimulus by growing toward a light source.
- BTendrils will react to touch stimulus by growing toward, and twining around, solid objects.
- CTendrils will demonstrate haptotropism by their roots, growing toward a water source.
What is the primary benefit of cytoplasmic streaming for a plant cell?
- ACytoplasmic streaming delivers nutrients, metabolites, and organelles to different parts of the cell.
- BCytoplasmic streaming aids the repair of a cell after it has been damaged.
- CCytoplasmic streaming allows the plant to respond to a light stimulus and grow toward it, increasing cellular photosynthesis.
- DCytoplasmic streaming encourages cell division and replication.
State whether the following statements about movement in plants are true or false.
The response of a plant to a touch stimulus is known as gravitropism.
Plants cannot demonstrate any movement or change in growth in response to a stimulus.
The fluid within a plant cell can move by cytoplasmic streaming.
Which of the following statements about plants is correct?
- APlants are fully immobile organisms, and their direction of growth cannot be changed.
- BPlants have no form of sleep–wake cycle to respond to dark–light cycles.
- CPlants can respond to stimuli, like light and touch, by moving.
- DPlants communicate between their own structures using a central nervous system.