This lesson includes 21 additional questions for subscribers.
Lesson Worksheet: Kingdom Animalia: Vertebrates Biology
In this worksheet, we will practice recalling the characteristics of different vertebrates within the animal kingdom.
What are the three subclasses of the class Mammalia?
- APrototheria, Metatheria, Eutheria
- BMetatheria, Eutheria, Protista
- CPrototheria, Metatheria, Archaea
- DArchaea, Eukarya, Protista
Which of the following statements describes a characteristic shared by amphibians, reptiles, and birds?
- AThe females of these organisms produce milk to feed their young.
- BThese organisms all have skin that is covered by scales.
- CThese organisms all typically give birth to live young.
- DThese organisms all typically lay eggs rather than giving birth to live young.
Which of the following statements describes a characteristic shared by reptiles, birds, and mammals?
- AThese organisms are all covered by smooth skin that contains hair.
- BThe females of these organisms produce milk to feed their young.
- CThese organisms all breathe through lungs.
- DThese organisms all give birth to live young.
Which of the following best describes the difference in appearance between an amphibian and a reptile?
- AAmphibians have bodies covered with smooth skin, while reptiles have bodies covered with dry scales.
- BAmphibians have bodies covered with hair or fur, while reptiles have bodies covered with smooth or slimy scales.
- CReptiles have bodies covered with smooth skin, while amphibians have bodies covered with dry scales.
Which of the following is a defining feature of an animal belonging to the vertebrate subphylum?
- AThe animal has a segmented body.
- BThe animal develops a backbone or spine.
- CThe animal develops an external skeleton.
- DThe animal uses the environment to regulate their own temperature.
Which of the following classes is not a class of the vertebrata subphylum?
Which of the following is a defining feature of all organisms belonging to the Chordata phylum?
- AThe organism will develop multiple external limbs.
- BAt some stage in its development, the organism will possess a notochord.
- CThe organism will develop a spinal cord and backbone.
- DAt some stage in its development, the organism will possess an exoskeleton.
An unknown marine organism is discovered. The organism found has a body covered in scales and has paired fins and a bony skeleton. What class of vertebrates is this organism most likely to belong to?
Organisms belonging to the class Agnatha are commonly known as jawless fish; an example is pictured. Which of the following is not a characteristic of an organism in the class Agnatha?
- AThey have an air bladder to help them float.
- BThey possess a notochord.
- CThey have a circular mouth with many teeth.
- DThey often act as parasites to larger fish.