Worksheet: Symmetry Operations
In this worksheet, we will practice defining a symmetry operation and describing the effect of inversion, reflection, rotation, and rotoinversion symmetries.
An improper rotation axis, , arises from which of the following situations?
- ATwo proper rotation axes
- BA mirror plane and an inversion
- CA mirror plane and the identity operation
- DA proper rotation axis and a mirror plane
- ETwo mirror planes
Which of the following properties is not a prerequisite for symmetry elements within the same symmetry group?
- AAssociativity (.)
- BClosure (If and belong to the group, and , then also belongs to the group.)
- CIdentity (The symmetry element times its identity, , remains unchanged.)
- DContinuity (If a molecule contains an axis, then it also contains axes of , .)
- EInverses (There must be an inverse symmetry element that returns the molecule to its original state; .)