Lesson Worksheet: The Nucleus Biology
In this worksheet, we will practice describing the structure of the nucleus in a eukaryotic cell and recalling the structure and function of chromatin and chromosomes.
How do substances pass between the inside of the nucleus and the surrounding cell cytoplasm?
- AThrough nuclear pores
- BVia nuclear transport tissues
- CThrough the nuclear stomata
- DThrough gaps in the nucleus wall
What is the role of the nucleolus in a eukaryotic cell?
- ATo wrap around chromatin when forming chromosomes
- BTo synthesize ribosomal RNA
- CTo provide a barrier between the nucleus and the cytoplasm
- DTo initiate and control cell division
- ETo act as the site of cellular respiration
Chromosomes are formed from the nucleic acid DNA. What is the primary function of these chromosomes?
- ATo keep the contents of the nucleus and the cytoplasm separate
- BTo act as the site of cellular respiration
- CTo provide essential nutrition for the cell
- DTo carry genetic information and allow it to be passed from parent to offspring
The nucleus is surrounded by a double membrane known as the nuclear envelope. What is the function of this membrane?
- ATo prevent any substances from entering or leaving the nucleus
- BTo act as the site of RNA synthesis
- CTo allow the attachment of the nucleus to the cell membrane
- DTo separate the contents of the nucleus from the cytoplasm
Which of the following best describes the nucleoplasm?
- AThe double membrane that surrounds the nucleus to separate its contents from the cell cytoplasm
- BThe viscous substance found within the nucleus that maintains the organelle’s cuboidal shape
- CA gelatinous liquid found within the nucleus that contains chromatin
- DThe fatty layer that encloses the nucleolus to separate it from the nucleus
- EAn aqueous solution that is the site of all the chemical reactions that occur within a cell
Where within a eukaryotic cell is chromatin contained?
- AThe nucleolus
- BThe rough endoplasmic reticulum
- CThe nucleoplasm
- DThe ribosome
The diagram provided is a drawing of a eukaryotic cell. Which structure is indicated by Y?
- DNuclear envelope
Which of the following is considered to be the control centre of eukaryotic cells?
- AThe nucleus
- BThe ribosomes
- CThe Golgi apparatus
- DThe nucleolus
Which of the following statements is true?
A nucleolus is a cytoplasmic organelle.
A nucleolus plays an important role in the synthesis of proteins.
- AOnly the first statement is true.
- BBoth statements are true.
- COnly the second statement is true.
- DBoth statements are wrong.
Which of the following statements is not true about chromosomes?
- AChromosomes are visible during metaphase.
- BChromosomes are made of DNA and proteins.
- CDuring metaphase, each chromosome is made of two chromatids.
- DIndividual chromosomes are visible during interphase.