Lesson Worksheet: Reactions of Alcohols Chemistry
In this worksheet, we will practice describing various reactions of alcohols and predicting what products are formed.
Excess ethanol was reacted with concentrated sulfuric acid at to produce a product with the molecular formula . The product was found not to be an alkene or an alcohol. What class of molecule might the product be?
A piece of sodium metal was dropped into a sample of methanol.
What organic product, if any, is formed from this reaction?
- ASodium methyl
- BMethanoic acid
- CSodium methanoate
- ESodium methoxide
What gas does this reaction produce?
- AWater vapor
- CCarbon dioxide
Which of the following is true upon the reaction of ethanol with sodium metal?
- AFormation of sodium ethoxide with the evolution of hydrogen gas
- BFormation of sodium ethoxide with the evolution of carbon dioxide gas
- CFormation of sodium acetate with the evolution of hydrogen gas
- DFormation of sodium acetate with the evolution of carbon dioxide gas
- EFormation of sodium ethoxide with the evolution of carbon monoxide gas
The reaction scheme below shows various reactions a molecule of propan-2-ol can undergo:
Which product would be a ketone?
What name would product C have?
How many different positional isomers would result from the reaction to form product A?
- A1 isomer
- B2 isomers
- C4 isomers
- D3 isomers
Consider the following reaction:
What product is formed from this reaction?
Two different experiments were performed under different reaction conditions with propan-1-ol. Details on each experiment are shown in the scheme below.
What are the names of products A and B?
- AA: propanone, B: propanal
- BA: propanal, B: propanone
- CA: propanone, B: propanoic acid
- DA: propanoic acid, B: propanal
- EA: propanal, B: propanoic acid
Fill in the blanks: Complete oxidation of ethanol using acidified potassium dichromate solution produces that has a odor.
- Aacetaldehyde, fruity
- Bethanoic acid, vinegary
- Cacetone, fruity
- Dmethanoic acid, pungent
- Eethanoic acid, fruity
Acetic acid reacts with ethanol, forming ethyl acetate.
What catalyst could be used in this reaction?
Which of the following is the other name of the ester produced?
- AEthyl ethanoate
- BEthyl methanoate
- CMethyl formate
- DMethyl propanoate
- EMethyl ethanoate
The following product results from the oxidation of an alcohol:
Was the alcohol primary, secondary, or tertiary?
Which of the following alcohols could the reactant be?
The reaction scheme for the oxidation of 1-propanol is as follows:
What does the symbol represent in this reaction?
- AOxygen from an oxidizing agent
- BThe loss of an oxygen
- COxygen from the air
- DOxygen from the alcohol
- EThe addition of an oxygen
What general class of molecules does the product belong to?
- CCarboxylic acid