Lesson Worksheet: Biological Macromolecules Biology
In this worksheet, we will practice describing key components found in the cells of organisms, including inorganic and organic compounds and large biological molecules.
Put the following structures in the order in which they are organized in the human body, from largest to smallest: cells, molecules, atoms, organelles
- ACells organelles molecules atoms
- BOrganelles molecules atoms cells
- COrganelles cells molecules atoms
- DAtoms molecules organelles cells
Which of the following molecules is classified as organic?
- CCarbon dioxide
- DSodium chloride
Put the following structures in the order in which they are organized in the human body, from smallest to largest: tissues, cells, organ systems, organs.
- ACells organs tissues organ systems
- BCells tissues organs organ systems
- CTissues organs organ systems cells
- DOrgan systems organs tissues cells
Which of the following molecules is classified as inorganic?
What is a defining feature of an organic molecule found in a living organism?
- AIt contains hydrogen bonds.
- BIt cannot be broken down into smaller subunits.
- CIt contains carbon and hydrogen linked together.
- DIt does not contain hydrogen atoms.
What is a biological macromolecule?
- AA small organic molecule made up of one type of element
- BA large organic compound made up of smaller molecules
- CA large inorganic molecule made up of at least two different elements
- DA small inorganic compound made up of a few different elements
Proteins, carbohydrates and nucleic acids are considered biological macromolecules. Which of the following best describes their basic structure?
- AThey are molecules of the same size (monomers) that are made up of repeating units (polymers).
- BThey are long or large molecules (polymers) that are made up of smaller subunits (monomers) joined together.
- CThey are small molecules (polymers) that are made up of smaller atoms (monomers) joined together.
Biological macromolecules can be formed from subunits (monomers) joining together in a chain. What is the name of this general process?
Which of the following is not one of the 4 major groups of biological macromolecules?
- CNucleic acids
What is a defining feature of an inorganic molecule found in a living organism?
- AIt is excreted as waste.
- BIt does not contain any carbon–hydrogen bonds.
- CIt contains chloride atoms.
- DIt cannot be broken down into smaller subunits.