This lesson includes 17 additional questions and 4 additional question variations for subscribers.
Lesson Worksheet: Measuring Substances Chemistry
In this worksheet, we will practice identifying measurement apparatus and describing accurate and reliable measurement methods for given experiments.
Put the following statements in the correct order to describe how a balance should be used to measure the mass of a solid:
- Set the balance to zero.
- Record the final mass of the sample.
- Place the container onto the mass balance.
- Weigh out the substance into the container.
- Ac, a, d, b
- Bd, a, c, b
- Ca, d, c, b
- Da, c, d, b
- Ec, d, b, a
Which of the following pieces of labware is not ideal for measuring the volume of a liquid?
- AGraduated cylinder
- CVolumetric pipet
Which of the following statements describes the difference between accurate and precise measurements?
- APrecise and accurate measurements have the same meaning.
- BPrecision is how many measurements are needed to obtain an accurate measurement.
- CPrecision is how close measurements are to the true value, whereas accuracy is how close measurements are to each other.
- DPrecision is how close measurements are to each other, whereas accuracy is how close measurements are to the true value.
- EPrecision is how evenly measurements are spread apart from each other, whereas accuracy is how close measurements are to each other.
The following image shows the position of three points on a set of target boards. The true value is represented by the center of the target, the red circle.
Which target board shows poor accuracy but good precision?
Which target board shows good accuracy and good precision?
Which target board shows poor accuracy and poor precision?
The image below shows a volume of liquid in a graduated cylinder.
Where should the volume of the liquid be read from?
- AHalfway between the top and bottom of the meniscus of the liquid
- BThe top of the meniscus of the liquid
- CThe bottom of the meniscus of the liquid
What is the volume of the liquid in the graduated cylinder?
25 g of an unknown substance is dissolved in 0.5 L of water. What is the density of this substance?
- A20 g/mL
- B0.05 g/mL
- C0.02 g/mL
- D50 g/mL
The volume of a solid can be measured in a similar way to the volume of a gas using water displacement. A student submerges a solid substance whose weight is 30 g in a graduated cylinder partially filled with water. They observe that the volume of the water is raised from 12.6 mL to 22.7 mL. Using these values, what is the volume of the solid substance?
Which of the following laboratory tools is the most accurate for separating solids from liquids?
- ATest tube
- BFilter paper
- CGraduated cylinder
- DWatch glass
- EGlass stirring rod
Which of the following apparatus is best for measuring and transferring a very accurate volume of a solution?
- AVolumetric pipet
- BTransfer pipet
- CPasteur pipet
- DGraduated cylinder