In this worksheet, we will practice explaining how antibiotics can be used to treat bacterial infections.
What type of pathogen are antibiotics most commonly used to target?
Fill in the blanks: Antibiotics destroy pathogens, whereas painkillers help prevent the person feeling the .
- Abacterial, pain
- Bharmful, discomfort
- Cfungal, inflammatory pain
- Dviral, chronic pain
Which scientist discovered penicillin after allowing mold to grow on his agar plates of bacteria?
Which of the following statements about antibiotics is incorrect?
- AAntibiotics are used to treat infections caused by a range of pathogens.
- BAntibiotics can only be used to treat bacterial infections.
- CAntibiotics are safe to use on humans because human cells do not have cell walls.
- DAntibiotics target bacteria by breaking down cell walls or interrupting essential processes.
Which of the following drugs is an example of an antibiotic?
- EBeta blockers
A student is suffering from the flu. They visit the doctor and ask for antibiotics to treat it. Why will the doctor not give them antibiotics?
- ANot having antibiotics will help the body develop immunity to the flu.
- BAntibiotics only treat the symptoms and do not target the cause of the illness.
- CThe flu is caused by a virus, so antibiotics will not work.
- DThe flu is caused by a fungus, so antibiotics will not work.
What term is given to bacteria that can no longer be killed using common antibiotics?
- AAntibiotic specific
- BAntibiotic immune
- CAntibiotic fighting
- DAntibiotic repellent
- EAntibiotic resistant
The diagram provided shows a simplified outline of a bacterial cell before and after exposure to penicillin. Which part of the bacterial cell is most affected by penicillin?
- AThe chromosomal loop
- BThe plasmid
- CThe cell membrane
- DThe cell wall
- EThe nucleus