Worksheet: Reactions of Alkali Metals
In this worksheet, we will practice writing equations for the reactions of alkali metals with oxygen and water and explain trends in reactivity.
Freshly cut lithium tarnishes in air in under a minute. With which substance is lithium reacting when it tarnishes?
- BCarbon dioxide
Why are the alkali metals lithium, sodium, and potassium stored under oil?
- AThey oxidize if exposed to air.
- BThey react with nitrogen in the air.
- CThey react with the oil to form a protective coat.
- DThey are sensitive to ultraviolet light, which the oil blocks.
- EThey are unstable if not in contact with oil.