In this worksheet, we will practice writing equations for the reactions of alkali metals with oxygen and water and explain trends in reactivity.
Freshly cut lithium tarnishes in air in under a minute. With which substance is lithium reacting when it tarnishes?
- A Argon
- B Nitrogen
- C Carbon dioxide
- D Oxygen
Why are the alkali metals lithium, sodium, and potassium stored under oil?
- A They are sensitive to ultraviolet light, which the oil blocks.
- B They react with the oil to form a protective coat.
- C They react with nitrogen in the air.
- D They oxidize if exposed to air.
- E They are unstable if not in contact with oil.
What is the molecular formula of the compound produced when lithium reacts with oxygen gas?