In this worksheet, we will practice explaining some of the variations among members of the same species in terms of adaptations that provide a survival advantage.
What happens to plant and animal species that can not adapt to their environment?
- AThey die out.
- BThey hibernate.
- CThey survive.
A jackrabbit has very large ears. How does this adaptation help them survive the desert heat?
- ABlood flows to their ears and allows heat to escape into the air.
- BJackrabbits use their ears to absorb the cool air at night.
- CJackrabbits flap their ears to fan themselves and keep cool.
What happens to a plant species if it cannot adapt to changes in its environment, such as a change in temperature?
- AThe species will grow somewhere else.
- BThe species will die out.
- CThe species will shrink in height.
Some plants in the rain forest grow very close to the ground and have brightly colored flowers.
How does this help them to survive?
- AIt allows them to get the most sunlight.
- BIt allows them to attract insects to pollinate them.
- CIt offers them protection from the rain.