In this worksheet, we will practice explaining some of the variations among members of the same species in terms of adaptations that provide a survival advantage.
What happens to plant and animal species that can not adapt to their environment?
- AThey hibernate.
- BThey survive.
- CThey die out.
A jackrabbit has very large ears. How does this adaptation help them survive the desert heat?
- AJackrabbits flap their ears to fan themselves and keep cool.
- BBlood flows to their ears and allows heat to escape into the air.
- CJackrabbits use their ears to absorb the cool air at night.
What happens to a plant species if it cannot adapt to changes in its environment, such as a change in temperature?
- AThe species will die out.
- BThe species will shrink in height.
- CThe species will grow somewhere else.
Some plants in the rain forest grow very close to the ground and have brightly colored flowers.
How does this help them to survive?
- AIt allows them to attract insects to pollinate them.
- BIt allows them to get the most sunlight.
- CIt offers them protection from the rain.
What special adaptation does a skunk have to protect itself from predators in the forest?
- AUnderground dens
- BA stink spray
- CA long tail
Plants cannot move from place to place when the conditions in their environment change.
Instead, plants can make changes to the way they grow by turning and bending in response to a stimulus.
This is known as .
Polar bears have adapted to living in their environment by growing long sharp claws. How does this adaptation help them survive?
- ATheir claws help them appear attractive to a mate.
- BTheir claws allow them to dig into deep snow to find food.
- CTheir claws help them protect themselves from predators.
When rabbits spot a larger animal, they freeze on the spot. Being completely still makes it harder for some predators to see them.
Which kind of adaptation is this?
Many animals adapt to survive in cold environments. How is the arctic fox adapted to survive the cold?
- AThick fur helps the arctic fox survive the cold.
- BThe arctic fox uses camouflage to survive the cold.
- CThe arctic fox hibernates in the winter to survive the cold.
There are many dangerous predators in the Amazon rain forest. The skin of the poison dart frog is toxic (poisonous) when eaten.
How else has this frog adapted to survive predators?
- AIts brightly colored skin warns animals away.
- BIts feet are not webbed, making it a poor swimmer.
- CIt has a long tongue to help it catch insects.
The great rockfish has adapted its appearance to blend in with its surroundings.
This is known as camouflage. Why do some animals change their appearance in this way?
- ATo attract a mate
- BTo hide from predators
- CTo capture prey
Rain forests get a lot of sun and rain. Thousands of plants live there. They have to compete for light and minerals.
The photograph shows one way that trees can adapt to get the most light. How have these trees adapted?
- AThe trees have grown very tall.
- BThe trees have grown extra leaves.
- CThe trees have turned toward the light.
- DThe leaves have changed color.
The photograph shows some giant water lily plants.
How have these plants adapted to make sure they get enough light?
- AThey have floating leaves.
- BThey have circular leaves.
- CThey have brightly colored flowers.
- DThey have very long stems.
The chuckwalla lizard has adapted to survive attacks from predators in the desert.
When they face attack, these lizards hide between rocks and inflate their bodies so that they cannot be moved from their hiding place.
Which of the following is the correct definition of the word adaptation?
- AA change that helps a plant or animal survive in their environment.
- BLooking after offspring that are not your own to help them survive.
- CBeing skilled at hiding from predators and avoiding being eaten.
Which part of the pelican’s body is adapted to allow it to catch prey in its wetland home?
- AThe eyes
- BThe feathers
- CThe bill
The heads of these sunflowers are turning toward a stimulus (a change in the environment that the plant can feel).
What is this stimulus?
Plants and animals can adapt their structure or behavior to help them survive. The Venus flytrap has adapted to survive in soil that does not provide enough nutrients.
It can trap insects by closing its leaves around them. This helps the plant get the nutrients it needs. Which type of adaptation is this?
Plants and animals make adaptations to survive in forest environments. Tropical rain forests receive lots of rain, which can be harmful to some plants.
This leaf of the banana plant has lots of grooves. How does this prevent the leaves from getting too much water?
- AThe grooves help the leaf fall off the plant when it rains.
- BThe grooves allow the rain drops to drain away easily.
- CThe grooves allow the leaf to absorb lots of rain.
Fill in the blank: The cattail plant has adapted to the wetland environment by growing a very long .
Why do plants need to adapt to their environment?
- ATo make sure that animals have enough food to eat
- BTo get the light and water they need to survive
- CSo bees can pollinate their flowers
A desert is a dry environment with very little rainfall. The Joshua tree has very wide long roots.
How does this help it survive harsh desert conditions?
- AThe roots allow the tree to store plenty of water.
- BThe roots allow the tree to reach deep to find water.
- CThe roots allow the tree to keep cool in the desert.
Cactus plants adapt to the desert environment. Which of the adaptations shown in the diagram helps this plant survive the climate in the desert?
- AThick stem
- BSharp spikes
Choose the correct word to complete the sentence.
A banana plant has broad flat leaves. This helps the plant absorb the it needs to survive.
Some desert animals have adaptations to help prevent them from getting too hot.
The coyote is nocturnal. What does the word nocturnal mean?
- ATo sleep at night and stay awake during the day
- BTo sleep during the day and be awake at night
- CTo take naps during the day and sleep at night
How do some trees adapt to colder weather in autumn and winter?
- ATheir roots grow longer.
- BThey grow a thick bark.
- CTheir leaves change color.
- DTheir leaves grow bigger.