In this worksheet, we will practice describing the function of the kidney in osmoregulation and creation of urine.
Which organ is responsible for the production of urea?
- AThe heart
- BThe small intestine
- CThe liver
- DThe stomach
- EThe kidneys
Which of the following best describes osmoregulation?
- AOsmoregulation is the control of the concentration of oxygen in the body and the concentration of carbon dioxide in the blood.
- BOsmoregulation is the regulation of the volume of water that travels by osmosis in a plant or an animal cell.
- COsmoregulation is the control of the amount of water in the body and the mineral ion concentration in the blood.
- DOsmoregulation is the control of the concentration of hormones in the body and the volume of glucose in the blood.
Which of the following statements best describes how ADH helps regulate water balance?
- AIf present, ADH increases the permeability of the collecting duct, so more water is excreted in urine.
- BIf present, ADH decreases the permeability of the collecting duct, so more water is excreted in urine.
- CIf present, ADH increases the permeability of the collecting duct, so more water is reabsorbed into the bloodstream.
- DIf present, ADH increases the permeability of the collecting duct, so there are higher concentrations of glucose reabsorbed into the blood.
- EADH has no effect on the regulation of water balance in the body.
Antidiuretic hormone (ADH) is a hormone involved in regulating the body’s water balance. Which endocrine gland releases ADH into the bloodstream?
Complete the sentence: As the intensity of exercise increases, the volume of urine because of the body’s water is lost as sweat.
- Adecreases, more
- Bdoubles, half
- Cincreases, less
- Dincreases, more
The diagram provided shows a collecting duct in the kidney in two scenarios: one where water is being reabsorbed in the bloodstream and one where it is not.
In which scenario (A, B, or both) would the most ADH be present?
In which scenario (A, B, or both) would the person be well hydrated?
The diagram provided shows a flowchart outlining how hormones are involved in osmoregulation.
Which hormone is represented by the letter A?
Which process is represented by the letter B?
What key word could replace the letter C?