Worksheet: Condensation Polymerisation
In this worksheet, we will practice describing the formation of condensation polymers and listing some of their common examples and uses.
What name is given to the repeating structural units in a polymer chain?
- AAmino acid
Which of the following diagrams is most representative of a thermosoftening polymer?
Fill in the blanks: Polyesters can be formed by the joining together of many and .
- Adicarboxylic acids, water
- Bcarboxylic acids, alcohols
- Cdicarboxylic acids, alcohols
- Ddiols, carboxylic acids
- Edicarboxylic acids, diols
Fill in the blank: Polyesters can be formed by joining many individual together.
- Ahydroxycarboxylic acids
- Cdicarboxylic acids
- Damino acids
Fill in the blank: Polyamides can be formed by the joining together of many individual .
- Aamino acids
- Bhydroxycarboxylic acids
- Cdicarboxylic acids
Fill in the blanks: Polyamides can be formed by the joining together of many and .
- Adiamines, water
- Bcarboxylic acids, amines
- Cdicarboxylic acids, amines
- Ddiamines, carboxylic acids
- Edicarboxylic acids, diamines
Which type of condensation polymer is formed when the following two chemicals react together?
Which small molecule is lost when polyesters are formed?
- BCarbon dioxide
- DHydrogen chloride
Which type of polymerization is used in the manufacture of Terylene?
- AReversible addition polymerization
- BPlasma polymerization
- CRing-opening polymerization
- DAddition polymerization
- ECondensation polymerization
Which of the following is a difference between condensation polymerization and addition polymerization?
- ACondensation polymers are created from monomers.
- BCondensation polymerization forms valuable polymers used in industries.
- CA long macromolecule is produced in condensation polymerization.
- DCatalysts are often used to produce condensation polymers.
- EA small-molecule by-product is produced in condensation polymerization.
Which statement about condensation polymers is true?
- AMonomers must have either a double bond or triple bond.
- BCondensation polymers only have one functional group.
- CCondensation polymers are only synthetic.
- DForming condensation polymers produces two products.
- EHydrolyzing condensation polymers produces hydroxycarboxylic acids.