Worksheet: Atom Economy
In this worksheet, we will practice calculating the atom economy for reactions using the formula masses of the reactants and desired products.
Which of the following is the best definition for the atom economy of a reaction?
- AThe mass of useful products as a percentage of the mass of reactants
- BThe number of atoms in the useful products as a percentage of the number of atoms in the reactants
- CThe percentage of atoms in the reactants that are converted to waste
- DThe ratio of the number of atoms in the products to the number of atoms in the reactants
- EThe percentage of atoms in the reactants derived from economical sources
What is the formula for calculating the atom economy of a reaction?
Shown in the table are the molar masses of calcium oxide, calcium carbonate and carbon dioxide.
|Molar Mass (g/mol)||56||100||44|
Calcium oxide can be made from calcium carbonate by heating, according to the equation:
To the nearest percentage unit, what is the atom economy for the production of calcium oxide via this process?
Barium sulfate can be made by adding sodium sulfate to a solution of barium chloride , as illustrated by the equation:
To the nearest percentage unit, what is the atom economy for the production of barium sulfate via this process?
Calcium metal can be used to produce pure rubidium from its chloride according to the equation:
What is the atom economy for the production of rubidium by this process, to the nearest percentage unit?
Raising agents are used in baking to help things rise. This is done by the production of , such as in the reaction shown.
Which product in this chemical reaction gives the highest atom economy?
Which of the following statements about atom economy is not true?
- AReactions with a low atom economy produce more waste products.
- BReactions with a low atom economy are not sustainable.
- CReactions with a low atom economy are not usually profitable.
- DReactions with a low atom economy are usually greener.
- EReactions with a low atom economy use up resources more quickly.
Which of the chemical reactions below does not have an atom economy of ?
The atom economy of a chemical reaction is not the only factor that industries need to consider. Which of the following is not an important factor of a chemical reaction that a company needs to consider?
- APercentage yield
- BReversible reactions
- CReaction conditions
- DRate of reaction
A chemical reaction for the formation of compound E has an atom economy of . The relative formula masses of and are 117 and 36 respectively. What is the relative formula mass of ? Give your answer to the nearest whole number.
Phenol is a very important commercial molecule that can be produced in numerous ways. Put the chemical reactions below in order of increasing atom economy.
- A4, 1, 3, 2
- B3, 4, 2, 1
- C2, 3, 1, 4
- D1, 4, 2, 3
- E1, 2, 4, 3
Elemental silicon can be produced through two different methods. The chemical reaction for each method is shown below.
By calculating the atom economy for each reaction, determine which reaction is more economical.
Sodium azide is an important compound found in car airbags. One method of producing is shown in the following equation.
By calculating the atom economy, determine the percentage of the wasted starting materials.
The formation of a commercially important compound is shown in the following chemical equation.
If the atom economy of the reaction is , what is the value of ?