Worksheet: Eukaryotic and Prokaryotic Cells
In this worksheet, we will practice recalling the main sub-cellular structures of eukaryotic and prokaryotic cells, and relating these structures to their function.
Which of the following correctly defines a prokaryotic cell?
- AA cell that has no mitochondria
- BA cell that cannot reproduce on its own
- CA cell that does not have a membrane
- DA cell that does not have a membrane-bound nucleus
- EA cell that can move on its own
Which of the following is the correct function of ribosomes?
- AProviding energy for cellular processes
- BMaintaining cell structure and shape
- CStoring the genetic material
- DProviding the site for protein synthesis
- EAllowing substances to enter and leave the cell
Which of the following is the correct function of the cell membrane?
- AStoring the genetic material
- BMaintaining cell rigidity
- CAllowing substances to enter and leave the cell
- DProviding energy for cellular processes
- EProviding the site for protein synthesis
What part of a eukaryotic cell stores the genetic material?
- DCell membrane
Which part of a plant cell is responsible for maintaining cell structure?
- ACell wall
- ECell membrane
Which of the following best describes how mitochondria are adapted for their function?
- AMitochondria contain enzymes that catalyze respiration to create energy.
- BMitochondria are the site of photosynthesis.
- CMitochondria contain a large number of chloroplasts.
- DMitochondria are the powerhouse of the cell.
- EMitochondria contain stores of glucose, which is used in respiration.
Which of the following subcellular structures is commonly used by prokaryotic cells for movement?
- CCell membrane
- EChromosomal loop
Where is most of the genetic material contained in a prokaryotic cell?
- BPlasmid DNA
- EChromosomal/DNA loop
The diagram provided shows a basic animal cell.
What organelle is represented by label 1?
- BCell membrane
What organelle is represented by label 2?
- ACell membrane
What organelle is represented by label 3?
- ECell membrane
What key term applies to a cell membrane that allows some substances through, but not others?
- BPartially permeable
- CSelectively open
- DProtein channel
- EPartially selective
Which of the following organelles is found in both prokaryotic cells and plant cells?
- DCell wall
Which of the following statements correctly compares the genetic material of prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells?
- AEukaryotic cells have their genetic material contained within a membrane-bound nucleus, whereas prokaryotic cells do not have a membrane-bound nucleus.
- BEukaryotic cells have genetic material that is comprised only of DNA, whereas prokaryotic cells have genetic material that is comprised only of RNA.
- CEukaryotic cells have their genetic material freely moving in the cytoplasm of the cell, whereas prokaryotic cells have all of their genetic material contained within plasmid loops.
- DEukaryotic cells use their genetic material to control the cells’ activities, whereas prokaryotic cells only use their genetic material to infect other organisms.
Which of the following organisms would be classified as eukaryotes?
Which of the following organisms would be classified as prokaryotes?