This lesson includes 16 additional questions for subscribers.
Lesson Worksheet: Methods of Asexual Reproduction Biology
In this worksheet, we will practice distinguishing between asexual and sexual reproduction and describing different ways that organisms asexually reproduce.
Which plant characteristic allows large numbers of clones to be produced by tissue culture?
- APlants use a variety of methods, such as wind and insects, to promote pollination.
- BPlants can produce large numbers of seeds at one time that can be dispersed over a large area.
- CPlants are able to grow structures such as bulbs and runners that form identical offspring.
- DPlant cells can be stimulated to grow and differentiate to form a complete organism.
- EPlants can switch between asexual and sexual reproduction depending on the environmental conditions.
What process can occur after applying an electric shock to unfertilized starfish eggs?
- BBinary fission
Which process occurs during binary fission in bacteria?
- BChromosome duplication
How does asexual reproduction in yeast differ from asexual reproduction in bacteria?
- AIn yeast, the process generates multicellular offspring.
- BIn yeast, daughter cells are formed by parthenogenesis.
- CIn yeast, there is no growth and separation of a cell wall.
- DIn yeast, the daughter cell forms from a small outgrowth in the original cell.
- EIn yeast, mitosis does not occur during the fission process.
Which organism reproduces by binary fission?
What is a distinguishing feature of asexual reproduction?
- AA wide range of alleles increases the chance of resistance to disease.
- BNew offspring can be produced rapidly.
- CThere is variation in the next generation.
- DIt requires a lot of time and energy.
- EMore than one individual is necessary.
Which process is not an example of asexual reproduction in a plant?
- AThe growth of a new plant from a cutting
- BThe growth of a new plant by tissue culture
- CThe growth of a new plant from a seed
- DThe growth of a new plant from a bulb or tuber
- EThe growth of a new plant from a stem runner
Which member of the honeybee community is formed as a result of parthenogenesis?
- AA female drone
- BThe queen
- CA female worker
- DA male worker
- EA male drone
The figure shows the fruiting bodies of a bread mold (Rhizopus stolonifer) that form when it is reproducing asexually. What is released from this structure?