Worksheet: Fragment Ions
In this worksheet, we will practice analyzing mass spectra to identify the likely composition of the fragment ions produced from an analyte.
What does the presence of M-15, M-29, and M-43 mass spectral peaks correspond to?
- ALoss of nitrogen atoms
- BAlcohol degradation
- CSequential loss of alkyl groups
- DCarbocation rearrangements
When the molecular ion is absent, which fragment ion peaks are aliphatic nitro compounds indicated by?
- A and , corresponding to and
- B and , corresponding to and
- C and , corresponding to and
What does the fragmentation pattern in a mass spectrum tell us about the sample material?
- AWhich functional groups were present in the original molecule
- BWhat kinds of impurities were present and how much of each was there
- CHow many atoms of each element were present in the original molecule
- DThe atomic compositions of segments of the molecule that can be reassembled virtually to determine the original structure