Worksheet: Fragment Ions
In this worksheet, we will practice analyzing mass spectra to identify the likely composition of the fragment ions produced from an analyte.
What do the presence of M-15, M-29, and M-43 mass spectral peaks correspond to?
- ALoss of nitrogen atoms
- BCarbocation rearrangements
- CAlcohol degradation
- DSequential loss of alkyl groups
Although the molecular ion is usually absent, aliphatic nitro compounds are indicated by which fragment ion peaks?
- A and , corresponding to and
- B and , corresponding to and
- C and , corresponding to and
What does the fragmentation pattern in a mass spectrum tell us about the sample material?
- AHow many atoms of each element were present in the original molecule.
- BWhat kinds of impurities were present and how much of each was there.
- CWhich functional groups were present in the original molecule.
- DThe atomic compositions of segments of the molecule that can be reassembled virtually to determine the original structure.