Worksheet: Keeping Healthy
In this worksheet, we will practice identifying the benefits of diet and exercise on our health.
If you are fit, you are able to cope with the demands of everyday life. There are four measures of fitness: strength, speed, stamina, and suppleness.
What does stamina mean?
- AThe range of movement in a person’s joints
- BThe ability to move quickly in short bursts
- CThe ability to lift heavy weights
- DThe ability to do the same activity for a long time
Approximately how many glasses of fluids (preferably water) should you drink daily?
Aerobic activities increase cardiorespiratory fitness. Which of the activities listed is a form of aerobic exercise?
- AClimbing a tree
Carbohydrates provide our bodies with energy. Approximately what percentage of our diet should be carbohydrates?
Which of the following is not a benefit of exercise?
- AIncreased life expectancy.
- BReduced risk of heart disease.
- CImproved mental health and mood.
- DImproved strength of teeth.
Calcium helps maintain healthy bones and teeth. Which of the following foods is the best source of calcium?
Vitamin A is found in carrots, broccoli, and other vegetables. What does the body use vitamin A for?
- AIt makes bones strong.
- BIt builds muscle.
- CIt helps fight infections.
- DIt improves eyesight.
The table shows the energy content in some of the main food groups.
|Energy per Gram (kilojoules)||8||37||17||17|
Which food group contains the most energy per gram?
Protein is found in food such as chicken and fish. What is the main reason that our bodies need protein?
- ATo build and maintain our eyesight
- BTo build and maintain healthy body tissue
- CTo build and maintain our digestive system
- DTo build and maintain strong bones and teeth
Why does smoking increase the risk of heart disease?
- AIt lowers your cholesterol levels.
- BIt causes the arteries to thicken and harden.
- CIt causes low blood pressure.
- DIt causes the arteries to soften and improves blood flow.
Bone-strengthening activities produce a force on the bones of the body that promotes bone growth and strength.
This force is commonly produced by the impact with the ground. Running is an example of a bone-strengthening activity. Which of the following is also a bone-strengthening activity?
- CPlaying video games
- DReading a book
The image shows the nutritional value of fried chicken.
Use the table to find the amount of fat, per 100 g, of fried chicken.
Which of the following is the healthiest way to cook chicken, which would help reduce the amount of fat in your diet?
- ADeep fry
- BShallow fry
Fiber helps our bodies digest food. Which of the following contains the most fiber?
- ACrisps, biscuits, doughnuts, and cake
- BVegetables, fruits, nuts, and cereals
- CMeat and fish
- DMilk, yogurt, and cheese
The cards show the amount of sugar in common food and drinks.
Order the cards according to the sugar content.
Start with the card which contains the least sugar and end with the card containing the most sugar.
- ASlice of pizza, glass of orange juice, sugary cereal, can of cola
- BCan of cola, sugary cereal, glass of orange juice, slice of pizza
- CGlass of orange juice, slice of pizza, can of cola, sugary cereal
- DSugary cereal, can of cola, slice of pizza, glass of orange juice
Fill in the blank: If we eat the right amount of food from each food group shown on the plate, we will have a balanced .