Worksheet: Keeping Healthy
In this worksheet, we will practice identifying the benefits of diet and exercise on our health.
If you are fit, you are able to cope with the demands of everyday life. There are four measures of fitness: strength, speed, stamina, and suppleness.
What does stamina mean?
- AThe ability to lift heavy weights
- BThe range of movement in a person’s joints
- CThe ability to do the same activity for a long time
- DThe ability to move quickly in short bursts
Approximately how many glasses of fluids (preferably water) should you drink daily?
Aerobic activities increase cardiorespiratory fitness. Which of the activities listed is a form of aerobic exercise?
- AClimbing a tree
Carbohydrates provide our bodies with energy. Approximately what percentage of our diet should be carbohydrates?
Which of the following is not a benefit of exercise?
- AImproved strength of teeth.
- BIncreased life expectancy.
- CReduced risk of heart disease.
- DImproved mental health and mood.
Calcium helps maintain healthy bones and teeth. Which of the following foods is the best source of calcium?
Vitamin A is found in carrots, broccoli, and other vegetables. What does the body use vitamin A for?
- AIt helps fight infections.
- BIt improves eyesight.
- CIt makes bones strong.
- DIt builds muscle.
The table shows the energy content in some of the main food groups.
|Energy per Gram (kilojoules)||8||37||17||17|
Which food group contains the most energy per gram?
Protein is found in food such as chicken and fish. What is the main reason that our bodies need protein?
- ATo build and maintain healthy body tissue
- BTo build and maintain our digestive system
- CTo build and maintain strong bones and teeth
- DTo build and maintain our eyesight
Why does smoking increase the risk of heart disease?
- AIt causes the arteries to thicken and harden.
- BIt causes low blood pressure.
- CIt causes the arteries to soften and improves blood flow.
- DIt lowers your cholesterol levels.
Bone-strengthening activities produce a force on the bones of the body that promotes bone growth and strength.
This force is commonly produced by the impact with the ground. Running is an example of a bone-strengthening activity. Which of the following is also a bone-strengthening activity?
- AReading a book
- CPlaying video games
The image shows the nutritional value of fried chicken.
Use the table to find the amount of fat, per 100 g, of fried chicken.
Which of the following is the healthiest way to cook chicken, which would help reduce the amount of fat in your diet?
- BDeep fry
- CShallow fry
Fiber helps our bodies digest food. Which of the following contains the most fiber?
- ACrisps, biscuits, doughnuts, and cake
- BMilk, yogurt, and cheese
- CMeat and fish
- DVegetables, fruits, nuts, and cereals