Worksheet: The Structure of the Atom
In this worksheet, we will practice describing interactions between protons and neutrons in the atomic nucleus and electrons in the surrounding shells.
When the distance between atoms is less than the equilibrium bond length, the energy increases. What is the main cause of this effect?
- ARepulsion between electrons
- BRepulsion between the positive nuclear charges
- CDistortion of the optimum orbital geometries
- DThe Pauli exclusion principle
- ECollision between nuclei
Which of the following is the best definition of the wave function of an atomic orbital?
- AA surface connecting points of equal electron density around an atomic nucleus, containing a maximum of two electrons
- BA mathematical function describing the wave-like behavior of either one or a pair of electrons in an atom
- CThe space around an atomic nucleus in which either one or a pair of electrons are most likely to be found
- DThe probability density of finding either one or a pair of electrons in the space around an atomic nucleus
- EA shell of electron density located at a fixed distance from an atomic nucleus, containing a maximum of two electrons
Which term is defined as the number of mutually orthogonal atomic orbitals possessing the same potential energy?
- AOrbital degeneracy
- BOrbital parity
- COrbital angular momentum
- DAzimuthal quantum number
- EPrincipal quantum number