In this worksheet, we will practice recognizing that soil is made from rocks and organic matter.
Pick the sentence that tells us what soil is made from.
- ARocks, decayed plants, minerals, and decayed animals
- BOnly decayed plants and animals
- COnly minerals
- DOnly rocks
What is humus?
- AA human leg bone
- BDead plants
- CDecomposed organic matter
- DA dip made from chickpeas
Why is humus an important part of soil?
- AIt helps preserve fossils.
- BIt helps prevent soil erosion.
- CIt adds nutrients to the soil, which help plants to grow.
Desert soil is sandy and does not contain much humus. Sand does not hold water very well and this affects the types of plants that can grow there.
Which of the plants listed is especially adapted to grow in sandy soil?
- DApple tree
Why do farmers add fertilizers to their soil?
- ATo prevent disease in plants
- BTo control pests
- CTo replace the nutrients