This lesson includes 15 additional questions for subscribers.
Lesson Worksheet: Determining Sex in Humans Biology
In this worksheet, we will practice recalling the sex chromosomes in humans and explaining their role in determining the sex of a fetus.
Which of the following correctly describes the chromosomes contained within a human female somatic cell?
- A46 autosomes + XY
- B23 autosomes + XY
- C44 autosomes + XX
- D46 autosomes + XX
- E44 autosomes + XY
Which gamete is responsible for determining the sex of a fetus?
A couple are expecting a child. What is the probability, in percent, that this child will be born female?
A human somatic (body) cell contains 46 chromosomes. How many chromosomes does a gamete (sex cell) contain?
Which of the following statements is correct about the sex chromosomes contained in the sperm and ova?
- AOva only carry Y chromosomes, whereas sperm can carry either X or Y chromosomes.
- BSperm only carry Y chromosomes, whereas ova only carry X chromosomes.
- COva only carry X chromosomes, whereas sperm can carry either X or Y chromosomes.
- DSperm only carry X chromosomes, whereas ova can carry either X or Y chromosomes.
How do the structures of the chromosomes in humans differ?
- AThe X chromosome contains less than of the genes found on the Y chromosome.
- BThe X chromosome is much shorter than the Y chromosome.
- CThe Y chromosome is much shorter than the X chromosome.
- DThe Y chromosome is much wider than the X chromosome.
- EThere is no difference in structure between the chromosomes.
Which of the following correctly describes the chromosomes contained within a human male somatic cell?
- A46 autosomes + YY
- B23 autosomes + XX
- C44 autosomes + XX
- D44 autosomes + XY
- E23 autosomes + XY
If an embryo has a Y chromosome, what will start to happen around 7 weeks into pregnancy?
- ANervous signals will be generated to stimulate the development of female secondary sexual characteristics.
- BThe embryo will divide rapidly into a large mass of cells.
- CThe embryo will implant into the uterus wall.
- DHormones will be released to initiate the formation of the male reproductive organs.
What is the meaning of the term autosome?
- AA chromosome that is found in the gametes of a human
- BAny chromosome that is not a sex chromosome (X or Y)
- CA chromosome that has been automatically replicated, ready for cell division
- DA chromosome that is automatically destroyed when damaged
- EAny chromosome that has had a section removed
Which of the following Punnett squares correctly shows the inheritance of sex chromosomes in humans?
Female Male X Y X XX XX Y XY YY
Female Male X X Y XY XY Y XY XY
Female Male X X X XX XX Y XY XY
Female Male X Y X XX XY X XX XY