Worksheet: Selection Rules in Electronic Transitions
In this worksheet, we will practice using term symbols and selection rules to predict favored electronic transitions in atoms and molecules.
In symmetry terms, which of the following must be true for an allowed transition?
- AOnly the electronic representations must be symmetric.
- BBoth the electronic and vibrational representations must be asymmetric.
- COnly the vibrational representations must be symmetric.
- DBoth the electronic and vibrational representations must be symmetric.
- ESymmetry does not matter, as long as there is a change in dipole or polarizability.
Which of the following would be a spin allowed transition?
- A 5E2E
- B 3T11T1
- C 1A23A2
- D 3T13A2
- E 4T22T4