In this worksheet, we will practice explaining the role of meiosis in the formation of gametes.
By what type of cell division are gametes formed in adults?
For the following statements about meiosis, choose whether they are true or false.
Meiosis involves the parent cell dividing twice.
Meiosis produces daughter cells that are genetically identical to the parent cell.
Meiosis produces cells that are haploid.
A normal cell in a spinach plant has 12 chromosomes. How many chromosomes will be in the pollen grain?
Which of the following statements best explains why it is important that gametes are haploid?
- ASo when they join in fertilization, the zygote has the correct diploid number
- BSo when they join in fertilization, the zygote has the correct haploid number
- CSo the gametes do not get confused with normal body cells
- DSo when they divide to form an embryo, the DNA does not have to be replicated
After fertilization, a zygote is formed.
What type of cell division do cells in the zygote undergo to begin forming a new organism?
A body cell in a giant panda has 42 chromosomes. How many chromosomes will be in a panda sperm cell?
Which of the following is incorrect about meiosis and variation?
- AMeiosis creates genetic variation because each gamete formed has a different set of chromosomes.
- BHaploid daughter cells are produced in meiosis as they have the full set of chromosomes to start dividing into a zygote.
- CIn the zygote, one chromosome in each pair comes from each parent.
- DEach chromosome in a pair may contain different versions of the same gene.
- ESexual reproduction produces more variation in the offspring than asexual.
Which of the following correctly defines a cell that is haploid?
- AA haploid cell contains two sets of each paired chromosome.
- BA haploid cell contains half of each chromosome.
- CA haploid cell contains one set of each unpaired chromosome.
- DA haploid cell contains three sets of each unpaired chromosome.
How many chromosomes are in a human gamete?
What is produced by a cell that has undergone meiosis?
- ATwo genetically identical diploid cells
- BFour genetically different haploid cells
- CFour genetically identical haploid cells
- DFour genetically different diploid cells
- ETwo genetically different haploid cells
Which of the following correctly defines a cell that is diploid?
- AA diploid cell contains two sets of each chromosome.
- BA diploid cell contains three sets of each chromosome.
- CA diploid cell contains multiple chromosomes.
- DA diploid cell contains one set of each chromosome.
The egg cell of a great white shark has 41 chromosomes. How many chromosomes will be in the zygote?
How many chromosomes are in a normal human body cell?