Worksheet: Types of Equilibrium
In this worksheet, we will practice classifying equilibria as static or dynamic and as homogeneous or heterogeneous.
The following reaction occurs when a burner on a gas stove is lit. Which of the following statements is an accurate description of this reaction?
- AAn equilibrium is not established because the rate of the forward reaction is much greater than the rate of the reverse reaction.
- BAn equilibrium is not established because the reaction is highly exothermic, preventing the temperature from reaching a constant value.
- CAn equilibrium is not established because the gas stove is not a closed system and the product gases can escape.
- DAn equilibrium is established because the reaction does not alter the number of moles of gas in the system.
- EAn equilibrium is established because carbon dioxide and water are already present in the air.
If a reaction is reversible, when can it be said to have reached equilibrium?
- AWhen the reactants and the products have equal concentrations
- BWhen the concentrations of the reactants and products are equal
- CWhen the rates of the forward and reverse reactions are equal
- DWhen the concentrations of the products are equal to the standard value, typically 1 M
- EWhen the reactants are fully consumed
Which of the following is the correct definition of a reversible reaction?
- AThe forward reaction and the reverse reaction occur at the same rate.
- BThe reaction can proceed in both the forward and reverse directions.
- CA second reaction converts the products of the reaction back to reactants, resulting in a cyclic process.
- DIf you reverse the flow of time, the reaction will undo itself.
- EThe reaction can be undone with the right catalyst.
Under standard conditions, a sealed container of bromine consists of a liquid phase in equilibrium with a gaseous phase. Why would it be impossible to establish an equilibrium between and if the container were not a closed one?
- AIn an open system, the rate of condensation is limited by diffusion of out of the container.
- BIn an open system, the container would empty due to rapid vaporization of .
- CIn an open system, it is always more favorable for the material to exist in the gas phase.
- DIn an open system, the rate of condensation is limited by variation of the boiling point with the liquid mass.
- EIn an open system, the bromine would be consumed by reaction with air before the phases could equilibrate.
At the boiling point of a liquid, which of the following conditions is satisfied?
- AVapor pressure equals the liquid surface tension.
- BThe rate of evaporation equals the rate of convection.
- CThe rate of evaporation equals the rate of condensation.
- DThe free energies of vaporization and condensation are equal in magnitude.
- EVapor pressure equals atmospheric pressure.
Heat is added to a block of ice in a bath of liquid water at . A student records the temperature of the ice and the mass of liquid water . The system remains at thermal equilibrium and ice remains at the end of the process. Which quantities do not change?
- ABoth and
- BMore information is needed.
- C only
- D only
- ENeither nor