In this worksheet, we will practice recalling the stages of the cell cycle, describing the different stages of mitosis and explaining the importance of mitosis for living organisms.
What is produced at the end of mitosis?
- AFour genetically identical daughter cells
- BFour gametes for reproduction
- CTwo genetically identical daughter cells
- DTwo genetically different daughter cells
- EFour genetically different daughter cells
Which of the following is not a correct description of a stage in the cell cycle?
- ADuring stage 3, the cytoplasm and cell membrane divide to form four new cells.
- BDuring stage 2, the cell undergoes mitosis from prophase to telophase.
- CDuring stage 3, the cytoplasm and cell membrane divide to form two new cells.
- DDuring stage 1, new subcellular structures are synthesized.
- EDuring stage 1, DNA replicates to form two copies of each chromosome.
Around 300 million body cells die and need replacing every minute. How many body cells need to be replaced per second?
- A3.5 million
- B18 million
- C5 million
- D3 million
- E6 million
Which of the following is not a purpose of mitosis?
- AReplacing dead cells
- BProduction of gametes
- CAsexual reproduction
- ERepairing damaged cells
Which of the following is not correct about asexual reproduction?
- AIn asexual reproduction, offspring are produced by mitosis.
- BAsexual reproduction produces clones of the parent.
- CAsexual reproduction can be used by organisms when mates are not available to reproduce sexually with.
- DAsexual reproduction increases the genetic variation in a population.
- EAsexual reproduction reduces the genetic diversity of a population.
What subcellular structures pull the chromosomes apart in mitosis?
- AEndoplasmic reticulum
- DSpindle fibers
What stage of the cell cycle takes the longest to complete?
- AStage 3 (cell division)
- BStage 1 (DNA replication)
- CStage 2 (mitosis)
- DAll the stages take the same amount of time.
The diagram shows the process of mitosis in an incorrect order.
Which of the following is the correct sequence?
- AA, F, B, E, C, D
- BA, B, C, D, F, E
- CA, F, B, C, D, E
- DA, F, B, D, E, C
- EA, F, E, B, D, C
Which of the diagrams shows the occurrence of metaphase?
Which of the diagrams shows the occurrence of anaphase?
Which of the diagrams shows the occurrence of telophase?