Lesson Worksheet: The Rock Cycle Geology
In this worksheet, we will practice classifying rocks according to their formation into three types, igneous, metamorphic, and sedimentary, and identifying the stages of the rock cycle.
Which of the following rocks are igneous?
- ABasalt and granite
- BSchist and mudstone
- CMarble and schist
- DLimestone and sandstone
- ESandstone and mudstone
When magma cools, it solidifies, forming igneous rocks.
Which process within the rock cycle is described by this statement?
- BCooling and crystallization
True or False: Sedimentary rocks commonly contain fossils.
Hydrocarbon reservoir rocks require good porosity to contain oil and gas. Which of the following rocks would make the best hydrocarbon reservoir?
What stages of the rock cycle are fundamental to the formation of sedimentary rocks?
- AMelting, cooling, crystallization, and weathering
- BLithification, metamorphism, crystallization, and transportation
- CWeathering, transportation, sedimentation, and lithification
- DTransportation, melting, crystallization, and cooling
True or False: Sedimentary and igneous rocks are the two rock types that can contain fossils.
What two processes are involved in lithification?
- ACooling and crystallization
- BCompaction and cementation
- CDeposition and fossilization
- DWeathering and sedimentation
True or False: With enough geologic time, a sedimentary rock can become a different sedimentary rock.
True or False: The rate of weathering is higher in warm and wet climates.
Which of the following rocks is sedimentary?