Worksheet: Hydrostatic Pressure
In this worksheet, we will practice calculating the hydrostatic pressure acting at a given depth of liquid from the density and strength of gravity.
Which of the following is the best general definition of hydrostatic pressure?
- AThe internal stress on a suspended object at the lowest point in the surrounding fluid.
- BThe buoyant force due to a difference in density between a suspended solid and the surrounding fluid.
- CThe total weight of a fluid.
- DThe pressure exerted by a fluid on a point within or on the boundary of the fluid.
- EThe average pressure exerted by a moving fluid on the walls of its container.
Which of the following is the correct expression for hydrostatic pressure?
- —hydrostatic pressure
- —height of the liquid
- —density of the liquid
- —acceleration due to gravity
How tall does a column of mercury need to be to exert a pressure of 1 atmosphere at its base? Take the density of mercury as 13.6 g/mL and acceleration due to gravity as 9.81 m/s2.