In this worksheet, we will practice defining and identifying compounds and mixtures and using these terms in the context of materials and physical processes.
Which of the following is not true for a pure substance?
- AA pure substance consists of only one type of molecule or unit.
- BSolutions cannot be pure substances.
- CPure substances are homogeneous.
- DAll pure substances contain only one type of atom.
- EExamples of pure substances include distilled water, nitrogen gas and sodium chloride.
Which of the following is true for a homogeneous mixture?
- AA homogeneous mixture is one where nothing is reacting.
- BAll the components of a homogeneous mixture are in the same phase.
- CA homogeneous mixture can never be un-mixed.
- DThe components of a homogeneous mixture are all evenly distributed.
- EThe components of a homogeneous mixture are unevenly distributed.
Which of the following is not a compound?
- ACarbon dioxide
- BMagnesium oxide
- CHydrogen chloride
Which one of the following is true for mixtures?
- AA mixture is always formed when two substances react together.
- BMixtures can only be made by mixing pure substances together.
- CPure elements cannot form mixtures.
- DMixtures consist of particles of different substances mixed—but not reacted—together.
- EMixtures cannot be separated into their components.
Which one of the following is true for compounds?
- AA compound is formed when different molecules share the same container.
- BCompounds are made of only one type of atom.
- CCompounds cannot be separated into their component elements.
- DCompounds are composed of two or more types of atom bonded together in a fixed ratio.
- ECompounds are formed when two atoms of the same element join together.
Which one of the following is true for a heterogeneous mixture?
- AA heterogeneous mixture is one in which two or more components are reacting together.
- BThe components of a heterogeneous mixture exist in a range of phases.
- CA heterogeneous mixture is one which can be un-mixed.
- DThe components of a heterogeneous mixture are unevenly distributed.
- EThe components of a heterogeneous mixture are evenly distributed.
Which of the following best describes a compound?
- AA single atom of an element
- BAtoms chemically bonded together in a discrete unit
- CA mixture of different elements
- DA substance composed of two or more elements, chemically bonded together in a fixed ratio