Worksheet: Compounds and Mixtures
In this worksheet, we will practice defining and identifying compounds and mixtures and using these terms in the context of materials and physical processes.
Which of the following is not true for a pure substance?
- ASolutions cannot be pure substances.
- BA pure substance consists of only one type of molecule or unit.
- CAll pure substances contain only one type of atom.
- DExamples of pure substances include distilled water, nitrogen gas, and sodium chloride.
- EPure substances are homogeneous.
Which of the following is true for a homogeneous mixture?
- AA homogeneous mixture is one where nothing is reacting.
- BThe components of a homogeneous mixture are unevenly distributed.
- CThe components of a homogeneous mixture are all evenly distributed.
- DA homogeneous mixture can never be unmixed.
- EAll the components of a homogeneous mixture are in the same phase.
Which of the following is true for mixtures?
- APure elements cannot form mixtures.
- BMixtures consist of particles of different substances mixed—but not reacted—together.
- CA mixture is always formed when two substances react together.
- DMixtures cannot be separated into their components.
- EMixtures can only be made by mixing pure substances together.
Which one of the following is true for compounds?
- ACompounds are formed when two atoms of the same element join together.
- BCompounds are made of only one type of atom.
- CCompounds are composed of two or more types of atom bonded together in a fixed ratio.
- DCompounds cannot be separated into their component elements.
- EA compound is formed when different molecules share the same container.
Which of the following is true for a heterogeneous mixture?
- AA heterogeneous mixture is one in which two or more components are reacting together.
- BThe components of a heterogeneous mixture are evenly distributed.
- CThe components of a heterogeneous mixture are unevenly distributed.
- DA heterogeneous mixture is one that can be unmixed.
- EThe components of a heterogeneous mixture exist in a range of phases.
Which of the following best describes a compound?
- AA substance composed of two or more elements chemically bonded together in a fixed ratio
- BA single atom of an element
- CA mixture of different elements
- DAtoms chemically bonded together in a discrete unit
Fill in the blank: Calcium and chlorine combine to form calcium chloride, which is .
- Aa mixture
- Ba metal
- Ca compound
- Da solvent
- Ean element
Which of the following words describes the role of sodium chloride when it is dissolved in water?
Which of the following words describes the role of water when sodium chloride is dissolved in it?
Which of the following words describes the resulting liquid when sodium chloride is dissolved in water?