Lesson Worksheet: Estimating Length: Customary Units Mathematics • 4th Grade
In this worksheet, we will practice how to estimate the lengths of different real-life objects by choosing the most logical unit of length and value in customary units.
Which of the following heights could be the cruising altitude for an airliner?
- A35,000 miles
- B35,000 ft
- C35,000 m
- D35,000 yd
- E35,000 km
Choose an appropriate unit for measuring the width of the Atlantic Ocean.
Which is a more reasonable estimate for the length of a bedroom: 1 rod or 4 rods?
Matthew wants to know the approximate height of a mountain. Would it be more accurate to have an approximation given to the nearest mile, yard, or foot?
- Ato the nearest yard
- Bto the nearest foot
- Cto the nearest mile
Natalie, using a clinometer, worked out the height of an oak tree to be 63 miles. What did she do wrong?
- AShe missed adding 1,000.
- BShe missed off a zero.
- CShe missed dividing by 1,000.
- DShe missed multiplying by 1,000.
- EShe used the wrong units.
Daniel wants to measure the height of a door frame as accurately as possible. Should he measure its height to the nearest quarter, eighth, or sixteenth of an inch?
- Ato the nearest eighth of an inch
- Bto the nearest quarter of an inch
- Cto the nearest sixteenth of an inch
Choose an appropriate unit for measuring the distance between two cities.
Daniel wants to estimate the length of a journey from the east coast to the west coast of the USA.
What would be a disadvantage to estimating this distance in feet?
- AThe number would be very small and difficult to visualize.
- BThe number would be very large.
What would be an advantage to estimating the distance in miles?
- AThe number would be larger and easier to visualize.
- BThe number would very small and difficult to visualize.
If you are estimating the height of a person, which units of measure would be most appropriate to use?
- Ayards and feet
- Bfeet and inches
- Cmiles and yards
Which of the following can be the height of a tree?
- A2 yards
- B20 feet
- C15 inches