Worksheet: NMR Sample Preparation
In this worksheet, we will practice describing sample preparation for NMR spectroscopy, including selection of solvent, filtration, and concentration.
Which of the following would be a poor choice as a proton NMR solvent?
- BDeuterium oxide
- CCarbon tetrachloride
Which of the following is not a reason why tetramethylsilane (TMS) is often used for a reference in NMR spectroscopy?
- AIt is easily removed from the sample after analysis.
- BIt gives a single, sharp peak in a region where other organic molecules do not have signals.
- CIt is chemically inert and miscible with organic solvents.
- DIts signal appears at the same frequency regardless of the applied magnetic field.
In which of the following ways is magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) an application of NMR spectroscopy?
- AIt scans for unique nuclei within human tissues.
- BIt allows for a noninvasive measure of bone density.
- CIt measures the distribution of hydrogen nuclei in the body.
- DIt measures the distribution of carbon nuclei in the body.