Worksheet: Alkali Metals
In this worksheet, we will practice describing the compounds and reactivities of alkali metals and trends in their physical and chemical properties.
Which of the following alkali metals is the most reactive?
In which of the alkali metals is the valence electron closest to the nucleus?
The most stable isotope of the radioactive alkali metal francium has a half-life of only 22 minutes. If a sample of francium were large enough to react visibly with water, would the reaction be more or less vigorous than the reaction between cesium and water?
- ALess vigorous
- BMore vigorous
- CSimilarly vigorous
Which of the following statements is false?
- AAlkali metals have lower boiling points than iron.
- BAlkali metals are softer than iron.
- CAlkali metals are denser than iron.
- DAlkali metals are more reactive than iron.
- EAlkali metals have lower melting points than iron.
Which of the following is not a property of alkali metals?
- AThey react with oxygen to produce oxides, peroxides, and superoxides.
- BThey are otherwise known as Group 1 metals.
- CThey have low densities relative to most other metals.
- DThey have two s electrons in their outer shell.
- EThey react with water to produce hydroxides and hydrogen.