Worksheet: Calorimetry Methods
In this worksheet, we will practice describing the design of calorimeters and explaining the function of each instrumental feature.
What does a calorimeter measure?
- AThe heat released or absorbed in a chemical or physical process
- BThe amount of gas left in a gas cylinder
- CThe color of a substance
- DThe blast radius of an explosion
This is what a simple calorimeter might look like:
What is the primary reason for the use of Styrofoam for the walls of the calorimeter?
- AIt is cheap, so the equipment does not cost a lot
- BIt is very light, making it easy to handle
- CIt is white, so it reflects light back into the liquid
- DIt is easily molded into the right shape
- EIt has thousands of voids, so it is mostly air, giving it a low thermal conductivity
Which component is necessary to ensure that the temperature is even throughout the liquid?
- AThe cover
- BThe Styrofoam cups
- CThe thermometer
- DThe stirrer
The bomb calorimeter is an instrument used to measure the of some substances.
- Aheat of combustion
- Bheat of dilution
- Cheat of vaporisation
- Dheat of formation