In this worksheet, we will practice defining electronegativity and rank the electronegativities of elements based on their positions in the periodic table.
Which of the following is an accurate definition of electronegativity?
- AThe charge of an atom resulting from the uneven distribution of electrons in a chemical bond
- BThe energy needed to remove electrons from a neutral atom
- CThe number of valence electrons that an atom can provide for chemical bonding
- DThe ability of an atom in a chemical bond to attract electrons toward itself
- EThe energy released when electrons are added to a neutral atom