This lesson includes 15 additional questions for subscribers.
Lesson Worksheet: Photosynthesis Experiments Biology
In this worksheet, we will practice describing the experiments carried out by Van Niel and Calvin and outlining how they increased the understanding of photosynthesis.
Van Niel’s work was confirmed by another group of scientists. They carried out a photosynthetic reaction where the plants were supplied with water that contained the oxygen-18 isotope and carbon dioxide that contained the oxygen-16 isotope. Which isotope of oxygen would be present in the oxygen produced by photosynthesis?
- CBoth oxygen-18 and oxygen-16
After his experiments using photosynthetic bacteria, what did Van Niel assume about photosynthesis in green plants?
- AThe reactions would be completely identical.
- BThe reactions were highly similar, but instead of carbon dioxide being a reactant, it would be oxygen.
- CThe reactions would be completely different.
- DThe reactions were highly similar, but instead of glucose being formed, it would be sucrose.
- EThe reactions were highly similar, but instead of hydrogen sulfide being broken down, it would be water.
Melvin Calvin investigated photosynthesis in algae. He determined that, in the process, a 3-carbon compound was formed. What are the carbon atoms of this compound used for in plant cells?
- ATo act as cell-signalling molecules
- BTo synthesize key biological molecules such as glucose, starch, proteins, and fats
- CTo help synthesize other key elements such as oxygen, hydrogen, and calcium
- DTo be used as a reactant in chemosynthesis
Van Niel determined that the equation for photosynthesis in green and purple bacteria was as follows:
In this reaction, what has happened to the hydrogen sulfide?
- AIt has been hydrolyzed into oxygen and sulfur.
- BIt has been broken down into hydrogen and sulfur.
- CIt has been used to form inorganic molecules.
- DIt has been synthesized into sulfur and water.
Melvin Calvin investigated photosynthesis in algae. The diagram demonstrates a simplified outline of his experiment. After the algae is subjected to a quick flash of light, why is it dropped into a flask of hot alcohol?
- ATo begin digestion
- BTo initiate cell division
- CTo stop photosynthesis
- DTo revive the cells
- ETo begin respiration