Worksheet: The Structure of the Universe
In this worksheet, we will practice identifying and describing large-scale structures within the universe, such as galaxies, galaxy clusters, and voids.
Which of the following statements correctly describes what is meant by the term “globular cluster”?
- AA globular cluster is a spherical collection of stars that orbit a galactic core as a satellite.
- BA globular cluster is a collection of galaxies.
- CA globular cluster is the matter that is ejected from a star during a supernova.
- DA globular cluster is the collection of stars at the center of a galaxy.
- EA globular cluster is a cloud of gas and dust within a galaxy that may eventually collapse to form stars.
List the following according to size from smallest to largest.
- Galaxy cluster
- Galaxy supercluster
- Planetary system
- Globular cluster
- APlanetary system, galaxy, globular cluster, galaxy cluster, galaxy supercluster
- BPlanetary system, galaxy, galaxy cluster, globular cluster, galaxy supercluster
- CPlanetary system, globular cluster, galaxy cluster, galaxy supercluster, galaxy
- DPlanetary system, galaxy, galaxy cluster, galaxy supercluster, globular cluster
- EPlanetary system, globular cluster, galaxy, galaxy cluster, galaxy supercluster
Which of the following statements correctly describes what is meant by the term “void”?
- AA void is a point of infinite density that is created when the core of a massive star collapses.
- BA void is a cloud of gas and dust that absorbs almost all of the light coming through it, which creates a dark region on the night’s sky.
- CA void is a large region of space in which there are relatively few galaxies.
- DA void is a cloud of antimatter.
What is the name of the galaxy cluster that the Milky Way is part of?
- AThe Sculptor Group
- BThe Draco Group
- CThe Local Group
- DThe Virgo cluster
- EThe Leo Group