In this worksheet, we will practice describing the distances between different objects that make up the Milky Way and the Universe.
The speed of light is approximately . How far does a beam of light travel in 1 day? Give your answer to 2 significant figures.
Which of the following is the correct definition of a light-year?
- AA light-year is the distance traveled by a beam of light in 1 second.
- BA light-year is how far light travels in half a year.
- CA light-year is how long it takes a beam of light to travel the same distance that Earth travels in 1 year.
- DA light-year is the distance traveled by a beam of light in 1 year.
- EA light-year is how long it takes a beam of light to travel the distance from Earth to the Sun.
List these objects in order of decreasing size:
- A weather satellite
- The Milky Way
- The universe
- AA weather satellite, Pluto, Saturn, the Milky Way, the universe
- BThe universe, the Milky Way, Pluto, Saturn, a weather satellite
- CA weather satellite, Saturn, Pluto, the Milky Way, the universe
- DThe universe, the Milky Way, Saturn, Pluto, a weather satellite
What is the name of the galaxy that the Earth is a part of?
- AThe Small Magellanic Cloud
- CThe Large Magellanic Cloud
- DThe Milky Way
List these objects in order of increasing size:
- The Moon
- The Sun
- The Andromeda Galaxy
- The International Space Station
- AThe International Space Station, the Moon, Earth, the Sun, the Andromeda Galaxy
- BThe Moon, the International Space Station, Earth, the Sun, the Andromeda Galaxy
- CThe International Space Station, Earth, the Moon, the Sun, the Andromeda Galaxy
- DThe Andromeda Galaxy, the International Space Station, Earth, the Moon, the Sun
Which of the following correctly describes a galaxy?
- AA galaxy is a collection of billions of stars.
- BA galaxy is a system of planets orbiting a star.
- CA galaxy is a cloud of gas and dust that condenses to form a protostar.
- DA galaxy is the remnant of a supernova.
- EA galaxy is a cluster of a few hundred stars.