Worksheet: History of Astronomy
In this worksheet, we will practice recognizing the way our understanding of the solar system has changed over time.
Before the 15th century, people did not believe that the Sun was the center of our universe.
What did they think was the center of the universe?
- AThe Moon
- DThe Sun
Astronomy is a branch of science. What does astronomy mean?
- AThe study of stars, planets, and space
- BThe study of aliens
- CThe study of plants
- DThe study of constellations (stars)
Which scientist developed the theory that the Sun is the center of our universe?
- DIsaac Newton
Ptolemy was an astronomer born in Alexandria, Egypt, in the first century AD.
What was his contribution to the field of astronomy?
- AHe discovered Mars.
- BHe discovered that Earth revolves around the Sun.
- CHe discovered the law of gravity.
- DHe discovered a mathematical theory on the movements of the Sun, Moon, and planets.
- EHe discovered how Earth began.
Galileo Galilei was an Italian scientist whose work significantly helped develop our understanding of the solar system.
What did Galileo develop to help astronomers in their studies?
- BA telescope that could be used to observe the planets
- CThe first space rocket
- DThe compass
Galileo made important discoveries about the Moon. What did he discover?
- AThere are craters and mountains on the moon.
- BEarth orbits the Moon.
- CThe Moon orbits Earth.
- DThe Moon creates its own light.