Worksheet: Spin-Active Nuclei
In this worksheet, we will practice identifying spin values of common nuclei and common properties of nuclides with zero, half-integer, and integer spins.
Fill in the blank: Nuclei with even masses and odd numbers of protons and neutrons .
- Ahave integer spins and can be observed by NMR
- Bhave fractional spins and cannot be observed by NMR
- Chave fractional spins and can be observed by NMR
- Dhave integer spins and cannot be observed by NMR
Which of the following is not a system?
Why cannot and nuclei be observed by NMR spectroscopy?
- AThey have zero spin and yield no signal.
- BThey cause complex spin–spin interactions, which cannot be interpreted.
- CThey have low natural abundance.
- DThey interact too strongly with the magnetic field.