Worksheet: Spin-Active Nuclei
In this worksheet, we will practice identifying spin values of common nuclei and common properties of nuclides with zero, half-integer, and integer spins.
Nuclei with even masses and odd numbers of protons and neutrons .
- Ahave fractional spins and can be observed by NMR
- Bhave integer spins and cannot be observed by NMR
- Chave integer spins and can be observed by NMR
- Dhave fractional spins and cannot be observed by NMR
Which of the following is not a system?
and nuclei cannot be observed by NMR spectroscopy. Why?
- AThey interact too strongly with the magnetic field.
- BThey have low natural abundance.
- CThey have zero spin and yield no signal.
- DThey cause complex spin-spin interactions, which cannot be interpreted.