This lesson includes 19 additional questions and 2 additional question variations for subscribers.
Lesson Worksheet: Transcription Biology
In this worksheet, we will practice describing the process of transcription and outlining the roles of DNA, mRNA, and RNA polymerase.
In what organelle of a eukaryotic cell does transcription take place?
- AThe cell membrane
- BThe mitochondria
- CThe Golgi apparatus
- DThe nucleus
- EThe ribosomes
During transcription, what base in the mRNA strand will an adenine base in the DNA template strand bind to?
In eukaryotes, the process of transcription produces pre-mRNA. Which of the following processes is involved in converting this pre-mRNA into mRNA, ready for translation?
In a eukaryotic cell, what happens to a strand of mRNA once it is formed?
- AIt is broken down into its component nucleotides.
- BIt leaves the cell through the cell membrane.
- CIt binds to other mRNA strands and forms a complex protein molecule.
- DIt is packaged in vesicles and transported to the Golgi apparatus.
- EIt leaves the nucleus through the nuclear pores.
Which of the following statements about RNA polymerase is correct?
- ARNA polymerase forms a strand of complementary DNA by catalyzing the formation of hydrogen bonds.
- BRNA polymerase remains stationary while transcription occurs along a strand of DNA.
- CRNA polymerase catalyzes the breaking of phosphodiester bonds.
- DRNA polymerase binds to DNA at a specific start codon, which is complementary to the polymerase’s anticodon site.
- ERNA polymerase creates an RNA strand from to using the to DNA strand as a template.
What is the primary role of RNA polymerase in transcription?
- ATo carry amino acids to the mRNA sequence and form a polypeptide
- BTo join the gaps in the sugar–phosphate backbone of the DNA molecule
- CTo form a strand of RNA nucleotides that is complementary to the template strand of DNA
- DTo break the phosphodiester bonds in the DNA sugar–phosphate backbone
- ETo form hydrogen bonds between the DNA bases and their complementary mRNA bases
This diagram shows a basic outline of the central dogma of molecular biology, which details how information is transferred from DNA to proteins. Two key processes have been replaced by letters. Which letter has replaced transcription?
The diagram provided shows the structure of a eukaryotic cell. State the letter that indicates the organelle where transcription takes place.
The diagram provided outlines the main stages of transcription in an incorrect order. Use the letters to state the correct order.
- AW Y X Z
- BW Z Y X
- CW Y Z X
- DY W X X
- EY Z W X