Lesson Worksheet: Stars and Galaxies Science
In this worksheet, we will practice describing the Milky Way and how the light-year can be used as a measure of the distances between stars in the galaxy.
Complete the following sentence: The solar system .
- Aorbits another star system
- Borbits the center of the galaxy
- Cdoes not orbit anything
Which of the following is a device that can be used for observing stars?
- AA telegraph
- BA telescope
- CA microscope
- DA telephone
- EA magnifying glass
Which of the following statements correctly describes what stars are?
- AStars are very large, very hot objects that are so far away from the solar system.
- BStars are small, hot objects located just above the atmosphere.
- CStars are small, hot objects at the edge of the solar system.
The picture shows a top-down view of the Milky Way. Which of the four points on the diagram shows approximately where the solar system is?
- APoint B
- BPoint D
- CPoint A
- DPoint C
The image below shows a cross section of a refracting telescope. The red lines are rays of light. What are the objects indicated by the green arrows?
The given picture shows a top-down view of the Milky Way.
Which of the following best describes the shape of the Milky Way?
- AA spiral
- BA circle
- CA sphere
Do refracting telescopes use lenses or mirrors to magnify images of distant objects?
The image below shows a top-down view of the Milky Way. What term is given to the features marked in green?
- ASpiral arms
- CSpiral wings
Each of the following images shows a top-down view of the Milky Way. Which one shows the approximate path, in green, that the solar system moves along as it orbits the center of the galaxy?
Why does the Sun appear much brighter than other stars?
- ABecause it is much hotter
- BBecause it is much larger
- CBecause it is much denser
- DBecause it is much closer