Worksheet: The Solar System
In this worksheet, we will practice identifying the different bodies that are part of the Solar System.
True or False: The Moon is a planet.
The solar system is full of planets, moons, asteroids, comets, and minor planets, known as dwarf planets. What is an asteroid?
- AA type of star
- BA small planet
- CA small rocky body that orbits the Sun
The table shows the number of moons that the planets in our solar system have.
|Number of Moons||0||0||1||2||79||62||27||14|
Which planet has the most moons?
How many moons does Mars have?
Choose the missing word: is the only planet known to have living things on it.
Which planet has red soil?
Finish the sentences to describe the planets in our solar system.
The outer planets are giants.
The inner planets are planets.
Choose the missing word: A/an is a small, rocky body orbiting the Sun.
The table shows how many moons each planet has and whether the planets have rings.
Which of the planets with rings has the fewest moons?
Which two planets have no moons and no rings?
- AVenus and Mars
- BVenus and Earth
- CEarth and Mars
- DMercury and Venus
The image shown was taken in space.
The Earth, Sun and Moon are all approximately the same shape. Approximately, what shape are they?
- CRectangular prism
Which of the following statements best describes the movement of these bodies in space?
- AThe Sun orbits the Moon, and the Moon orbits Earth.
- BEarth orbits the Moon and the Sun.
- CEarth orbits the Sun, and the Moon orbits Earth.
- DThe Sun orbits Earth and the Moon.
- EThe Moon orbits the Sun, and the Sun orbits Earth.
True or False: The Sun is a star.
What is at the center of our solar system?
- AThe Moon
- BThe Sun
- DThe Milky Way
The chart shows the eight planets in our solar system. Which planet is missing?
- AThe Moon
What is a galaxy?
- AA cloud of dust and gas in outer space
- BA group of stars that form a recognizable pattern in the sky
- CThe star around which Earth orbits
- DA system of billions of stars, together with gas and dust, held together by gravitational attraction
The chart shows the planets in our solar system.
Which planet is closest to the Sun?
Which planet in our solar system is the largest?
- AThe Sun
Which planet is third from the Sun?
Which planet is farthest from the Sun?
We can see some of the planets in our solar system using a powerful telescope. Scientists also use special machines to orbit planets and collect information.
What is the name of this special machine?
What is a comet?
- AA small solid rock traveling through the atmosphere
- BA small chunk of dust and ice that orbits, or travels around, the Sun
The Sun is the largest object in the solar system. All the planets in the solar system move around the Sun in a circular path.
What is the name given to this circular movement?
The moon is covered in craters. What is a crater?
- AAn opening in the surface of a planet or moon through which lava and gases flow.
- BA hole in the surface of the moon caused by a collision with a planet.
- CA hole in the surface of a planet, moon, or asteroid, caused when an object (asteroid, meteoroid, or comet) crashes into it with great force.
The table shows the maximum temperatures in degrees Fahrenheit of the four inner planets.
|Maximum Surface Temperature ()|
Which of the inner planets is the hottest?
Which of the inner planets is the coldest?
Astronomers often divide the planets in our solar system into two groups: the inner planets and the outer planets.
The inner planets are closer to the Sun and are smaller and rockier. The outer planets are further away, larger, and made up mostly of gas.