Worksheet: Anaerobic Respiration
In this worksheet, we will practice recalling the reactants and products of anaerobic respiration, and comparing this process to aerobic respiration.
What reactant is required for aerobic respiration to take place but is not required for anaerobic respiration?
- BCarbon dioxide
- CLactic acid
Complete the following statements using the words “with” or “without.”
Anaerobic means oxygen.
Aerobic means oxygen.
What product of anaerobic respiration in animal cells is not a product of aerobic respiration?
- BLactic acid
- CCarbon dioxide
For the following examples, decide whether the cells in the body are likely to be respiring aerobically or anaerobically.
A person is running a marathon distance of 26 miles over 4 hours.
A child sprints 50 meters down a hallway in 8 seconds.
A rabbit in a garden spots a fox and rapidly jumps away.
Which of the following is a disadvantage of having lactic acid in the body?
- AIf it is not broken down, lactic acid can cause pain in the bones.
- BIf it is not broken down, lactic acid can change the shape of red blood cells.
- CIf it is not broken down, lactic acid can cause the muscles to become more alkaline.
- DThere are no disadvantages of having lactic acid in the body.
- EIf it is not broken down, lactic acid can cause pain in muscles and muscle cramps.
When would the ability of cells to respire anaerobically be an advantage to a human?
- ADuring short bursts of activity when oxygen intake is limited
- BDuring long periods of moderate activity when oxygen intake is not limited
Which of the following is the scientific term given to the process of anaerobic respiration in yeast?
Which of the following is the correct word equation for anaerobic respiration in animal cells?
- AGlucose carbon dioxide
- BGlucose + oxygen lactic acid
- CGlucose lactic acid
- DGlucose + oxygen carbon dioxide + water
- ELactic acid glucose
The diagram shows a basic outline of an animal cell.
Which letter indicates where anaerobic respiration occurs in the cell?
What key term in anaerobic respiration is described as the heavy breathing that occurs after intense exercise to break down lactic acid?
- AOxygen debt
- BCarbon dioxide debt
- CRespiration debt
- DLactic acid debt
Which of the following statements about respiration in animals is correct?
- AAerobic respiration transfers less energy than anaerobic respiration.
- BAnaerobic respiration generates more carbon dioxide than aerobic respiration.
- CAnaerobic respiration transfers less energy than aerobic respiration.
- DOver the same period of time, anaerobic and aerobic respiration will transfer the same amount of energy.
- EAerobic respiration generates more lactic acid than anaerobic respiration.
Without including energy/ATP, state the word equation for anaerobic respiration in yeast cells.
- AGlucose ethanol + carbon dioxide
- BGlucose carbon dioxide
- CEthanol glucose + carbon dioxide
- DGlucose + carbon dioxide ethanol