Worksheet: Outliers of a Data Set
In this worksheet, we will practice finding the outliers of a data set and determining a value that is far from the other values in the set.
Find all the outliers, if there are any, in the following set of data: 31.9, 44.2, 31.3, 48.7, 23.4, 35.5, 34.5, 26.5, 41.6, 9.5, 60.2, 52.9, 46.1, 41.8, 51.3.
- Ano outliers
- C9.5, 60.2
The numbers of matches won by 12 teams in the national league are 11, 5, 6, 6, 9, 10, 19, 14, 11, 9, 9, and 6. Is it true or false that 19 is an outlier of the data?
Are the goals scored by the outlier more or fewer than the combined goals of Daniel and James?
The table shows the heights of the tallest buildings in a city. Find, if there are any, the outliers of the data.
- AThere are no outliers.
- BThe outlier is 901 .
- CThe outlier is 502 .
- DThe outliers are 502 and 901 .
The bar graph shows the prices of six different jackets. Which price is an outlier?
Which of the statements is correct for the distribution represented by the diagram?
- AThe distribution has a gap from 21 to 29.
- BThe distribution has an outlier at 6.
- CThe distribution has a cluster from 7 to 20.
- DThe distribution has a peak at 22.
- EThe distribution is symmetric.
The table shows the number of speakers of some non-English languages in the US. Identify all possible outliers.
|Number of Speakers||800,000||163,200||407,600||1,410,000||37,580,000||185,145||1,080,000||216,300|
- A 163,200, 37,580,000
- B 163,200
- C 1,410,000
- D 37,580,000
- Eno outliers
Why might it be preferable to use the interquartile range, rather than the range, as a measure of spread for this data set?
- AThe high value of 45 may be an outlier.
- BNone of the data is less than 7.
- CIt is easier to calculate.
- DThe data is symmetric.
- EThe data points are clustered together.
State if this is true or false: The value 48 is an outlier.