Worksheet: Outliers of a Data Set
In this worksheet, we will practice identifying outliers from a data set.
Find all the outliers, if there are any, in the following set of data: 31.9, 44.2, 31.3, 48.7, 23.4, 35.5, 34.5, 26.5, 41.6, 9.5, 60.2, 52.9, 46.1, 41.8, 51.3.
- A9.5, 60.2
- Eno outliers
The numbers of matches won by 12 teams in the national league are 11, 5, 6, 6, 9, 10, 19, 14, 11, 9, 9, and 6. Is it true or false that 19 is an outlier of the data?
Are the goals scored by the outlier more or fewer than the combined goals of Daniel and James?
The table shows the heights of the tallest buildings in a city. Find, if there are any, the outliers of the data.
- AThe outlier is 901 .
- BThe outlier is 502 .
- CThere are no outliers.
- DThe outliers are 502 and 901 .
The bar graph shows the prices of six different jackets. Which price is an outlier?
Which of the statements is correct for the distribution represented by the diagram?
- AThe distribution has a peak at 22.
- BThe distribution has a gap from 21 to 29.
- CThe distribution has an outlier at 6.
- DThe distribution is symmetric.
- EThe distribution has a cluster from 7 to 20.
The table shows the number of speakers of some non-English languages in the US. Identify all possible outliers.
|Number of Speakers||800,000||163,200||407,600||1,410,000||37,580,000||185,145||1,080,000||216,300|
- Cno outliers
- E163,200, 37,580,000
Why might it be preferable to use the interquartile range, rather than the range, as a measure of spread for this data set?
- ANone of the data is less than 7.
- BThe high value of 45 may be an outlier.
- CThe data points are clustered together.
- DIt is easier to calculate.
- EThe data is symmetric.
State if this is true or false: The value 48 is an outlier.