Worksheet: Outliers of a Data Set
In this worksheet, we will practice identifying outliers from a data set.
Find all the outliers, if there are any, in the following set of data: 31.9, 44.2, 31.3, 48.7, 23.4, 35.5, 34.5, 26.5, 41.6, 9.5, 60.2, 52.9, 46.1, 41.8, 51.3.
- A9.5, 60.2
- Eno outliers
Are the goals scored by the outlier more or fewer than the combined goals of Daniel and James?
The bar graph shows the prices of six different jackets. Which price is an outlier?
The table shows the number of speakers of some non-English languages in the US. Identify all possible outliers.
|Number of Speakers||800,000||163,200||407,600||1,410,000||37,580,000||185,145||1,080,000||216,300|
- Cno outliers
- E163,200, 37,580,000
Why might it be preferable to use the interquartile range, rather than the range, as a measure of spread for this data set?
- ANone of the data is less than 7.
- BThe high value of 45 may be an outlier.
- CThe data points are clustered together.
- DIt is easier to calculate.
- EThe data is symmetric.
State if this is true or false: The value 48 is an outlier.
The table below shows the number of messages exchanged on the smart phones of 14 students over a single month. The data have also been plotted in a dot plot.
Are there any outliers in this data set? If so, specify the value or values of these outliers.
- AThere is one outlier in the data: 9,754.
- BThere is one outlier in the data: 4,542.
- CThere are two outliers in the data: 2,830 and 9,754.
- DThere is one outlier in the data: 2,830.
- EThere are no outliers in the data.