This lesson includes 17 additional questions for subscribers.
Lesson Worksheet: Components of the Human Immune System Biology
In this worksheet, we will practice describing the structure and function of the organs, cells, and chemicals of the immune system.
Lymphocytes are white blood cells that play a key role in the immune response. Which type of lymphocyte produces antibodies?
- ACytotoxic T cell
- BT suppressor cell
- CB cell
- DNatural killer cell
- ET-helper cell
What is a cytokine?
- AA globular protein that binds specifically to antigens
- BAn enzyme that destroys microbes in the blood and other body fluids
- CA chemical messenger that mediates communication between immune cells
- DA phagocyte that is active during an inflammatory response
- EA structure in the lymph node where lymphocytes mature
The spleen is a site for maturation of some white blood cells.
What is another function of this organ?
- AIt breaks down aging red blood cells.
- BIt breaks down aging macrophages.
- CIt makes and stores antibodies.
- DIt makes blood clotting proteins.
- EIt makes red blood cells in adults.
Which immune cell carries out phagocytosis during an immune response?
- BHelper T cell
- CCytotoxic T cell
- DMast cells
- ENatural killer cell
Where do precursor T lymphocytes go to complete their maturation?
- CBone marrow
- DLymph nodes
The organs of the immune system are scattered throughout the body, as shown in the figure.
What is the name of organ X?
- DBone marrow
The figure shows a macrophage. What is the main function of this cell?
- ATo secrete antibodies
- BTo release histamine
- CTo activate blood clotting
- DTo engulf pathogens
The figure shows a cross section of a lymph node.
What cells can be found inside the structure?
- ALymphocytes, macrophages, and other white blood cells
- BOnly T lymphocytes in their final stages of maturation
- CStem cells that develop into all types of blood cells
- DAging red blood cells and their breakdown products
The organs of the immune system are scattered through the body, as shown in the figure. Which organ is the spleen?