Lesson Worksheet: Natural Selection Science
In this worksheet, we will practice describing the process of natural selection in organisms and explaining how natural selection benefits organisms and leads to their evolution.
State whether the following sentences are true or false.
The theory of natural selection relies on organisms within a population naturally showing some variation in their characteristics.
Organisms that have less useful characteristics for their environment are more likely to survive.
Natural selection is the immediate change in an individual organism’s characteristics.
The flowchart shows how peppered moths evolved as a result of the industrial revolution in the UK. What characteristic was being selected for here?
- ABlack trees
- BWhite bodies and wings
- CLarge wings
- DLarge amounts of soot
- EBlack bodies and wings
Which of the following statements about the evolution of life on Earth is correct?
- AUnicellular organisms existed first and gradually evolved into multicellular organisms.
- BMulticellular organisms have always existed, and some of these evolved into unicellular organisms.
The flowchart shows how peppered moths evolved as a result of the industrial revolution in the UK.
Which word would replace the gap in statement 4?
Which words would replace the gaps in statement 5?
- ASurvived, died out
- BDied out, evolved
- CDied out, reproduced
- DEvolved, migrated
Organisms in a population will show differences in their characteristics. What is the source of these differences in the human body?
- CRed blood cells
The diagram shows the stages of natural selection. Starting with W, put the letters in the correct order.
- AW Y Z X
- BW Z X Y
- CW X Y Z
- DW X Z Y
Complete the sentence: The process by which organisms change to become better adapted to their environment is called .
- Avegetative propagation
- Bartificial selection
- Cintelligent design
- Dnatural selection
What does survival of the fittest mean?
- AIndividuals that have the longest lifespan are able to pass their characteristics on to their offspring.
- BIndividuals with characteristics that make them the fastest and the most powerful will survive and pass on these characteristics to their offspring.
- CIndividuals with characteristics most suited to their environment will survive and pass on these characteristics to their offspring.
The flowchart shows the process of natural selection that would have allowed giraffes to evolve long necks. Which of the following statements about this process is correct?
- AThe giraffes with short necks were “fitter” than those with long necks.
- BAs the giraffes with short necks died out, the variation in the population increased.
- CThe giraffes with short necks had to breed with the giraffes with long necks to survive.
- DThe giraffes with long necks had an advantage over the giraffes with short necks.
Which scientist is widely credited with proposing the theory of evolution by natural selection?
- AJean-Baptiste Lamarck
- BGregor Mendel
- CAlbert Einstein
- DRosalind Franklin
- ECharles Darwin